Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Satellite Internet

1. Yeah she does actually, but it's up on the mountain past 421. In the middle of fucking no where.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

2. Yeah you're screwed.
    Time for a change

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    There are still places where you can't get Cable internet?

Just fucking move IMO.

you'd be suprised. in my monopolistic "city" all we had until 3 years ago was verizon DSL. they even had us paying on a package that didnt exist after upping the speeds nationwide (but thats a different story). the cable company waited FOREVER to get internet while Adelphia moved in the suburbs and provided it there. the city was still stuck with DSL. being that it was DSL there were still a lot of pockets that were too far away from a signal (and not in the suburbs to get Adelphia). needless to say it was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Do some research, check out www.dslreports.com and look to see whose best in your area. I know the website says DSL in the name but the site covers all high speed internet services.
    www.broadbandreports.com IMO

5. It's been mentioned, but yeah, gaming (and VOIP) is right out. The latency will be consistently high no matter how fast the transfers go.

6. Wild Blue and DirecWay are the two largest providers.

Both are expensive and they're your only options if you live in the boon docks. I used to work for Dish Network and I got that question a lot.

Satellite Internet will never, EVER, be able to compete with land-based connections. Land-based connections are less expensive (except for Fiber) to create/maintain and offer decent value for your money.

The lack of a viable 2-way Internet solution for customers is why I think that both DirecTV and Dish Network will be absorbed by one of the larger telcos within the next 5 years; IMO - DirecTV/Verizon and AT&T/Dish Network.

Good Luck.

7. I live in the middle of nowhere and was looking at hughesnet.
    After finding out that it would be useless for my purposes(gaming) I found out how much it would cost. Either $600 up front and $60 a month after that, or $100 up front, and $100 a month for two years.
    Definitely not fucking worth it.