Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Vaio's really that bad?

1. Are Vaio's really that bad?

I'm laptop shopping and can't find anything that gives me everything I want. Mainly this is what I'm looking for.

*thin and light, nothing more than 5.5 lbs and thinner is better
    *discrete graphics card
    *14" widescreen at 1440x900, but will consider 13" widescreen at lower res
    *nipple mouse in addition to track pad
    *santa rosa Core 2 Duo
    *decently attractive
    *trying to stay <$1500, cheaper is better
    *decent reputation for quality. no Acer, HP, Compaq

I don't think it's too much to ask but it's hard as hell find something.

I wanted a high res 14" screen bad, but it's impossible to find on a decent notebook, so I have warmed to a 13". I figure if I can't get the res I want at 14", I may as well get the 13" form-factor to save some space and weight.

Enter the Sony SZ series. It has everything, the only compromise is a 13" screen and no nipple mouse on the hardware side. But the problem is I have been programmed by word of mouth to never buy a Sony. Poor reliability, poor warranty service, proprietary parts that make it hard to repair. I have no personal experience but a couple of friends told me they have had Vaios with no problems. Are they really as bad as everyone makes them out to be?

Sony is running a decent special through Sony Style so I could get around $700 off with trade in of my old laptop and credit card sign up. This makes the cost fit into my bracket. Check the little banner on the right side of the page to look over the deal. My laptop gets me $250 towards the price.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

My first choice of laptop before I started looking at the Sony was a Thinkpad T61 14" widescreen, but the backorder on the WXGA+ screen is so bad they no longer list it on the site. If they did I'd have ordered one already since I have a friend at IBM who can get my employee pricing. I don't want to sit around waiting for the screen option to come back, who knows how long that will be.

Should I stop looking at this Vaio right now? I am getting incredibly tempted. It's so sexy. I just need someone to bounce this off of for a sanity check, and all my friends are noobs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14028.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	26391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14018.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	26392  

2. No, they're really not, hardware-wise. The problem I had with old Vaios was all the shitty bundled Sony software for jog dials and other weird hardware stuff. Honestly, I can't imagine it being a problem today.

Also, outside of IBM (well, uh, Lenovo, I guess), who's still doing the laptop nipple thing?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post
    No, they're really not, hardware-wise. The problem I had with old Vaios was all the shitty bundled Sony software for jog dials and other weird hardware stuff. Honestly, I can't imagine it being a problem today.

Also, outside of IBM (well, uh, Lenovo, I guess), who's still doing the laptop nipple thing?
    They are still full of Sony bloatware and they make it difficult to get a clean install with their recovery disks from my reading, but I think it is possible.

It's true about the nipple, but it is my preffered method of input. I would not care at all if my laptop had no track pad as long as I have a nipple. It's actually a pretty big thing for me, but since hardly anyone offers it that makes it really tough. Some Dells still have it, i think you can get it if you special order on some Fujitsus too, and that's about it.

There are some nice Asus machines out there that I've looked at too. But most have some fatal flaw, usually price or totally generic looks and size. A8J has a pretty sweet hardware config though.

4. fuck vaio laptops. FUCK THEM. I'm serious.

5. tell me why plz

6. If you're okay with a 13" screen and willing to pay $1500, why wouldn't you just get a MacBook?
    -Kyo

7. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    If you're okay with a 13" screen and willing to pay $1500, why wouldn't you just get a MacBook?
    That's what I was going to say. Just get a Macbook and be happy.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Apple doesn't have a graphics card, I'd have to pay extra for windows, I'd have to pay extra for a ridiculously priced service plan, I can't stand 1 button on the track pad, the SZ is lighter and has a metal case not plastic, and lastly I refuse to own a computer with such crappy pandering marketing.

9. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Apple doesn't have a graphics card, I'd have to pay extra for windows, I'd have to pay extra for a ridiculously priced service plan, I can't stand 1 button on the track pad, the SZ is lighter and has a metal case not plastic, and lastly I refuse to own a computer with such crappy pandering marketing.
    With regard to all but the last one (which doesn't bother me either way), yeah. Don't buy a Mac for Windows. I run Vista full time on my MacBook Pro and if I knew it would have ended up like this, I would have bought something else. Wouldn't buy a MacBook for any OS at all if you plan on playing games.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post
    I run Vista full time on my MacBook Pro and if I knew it would have ended up like this, I would have bought something else.
    ? what are you talkig about? hardware is hardware. do you just not like Vista, or is it a performance issue?