Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bioshock

I got Bioshock 2 for ridiculously cheap, haven't yet tried it or the DLC, but now I want to.

Focus groups are killing games. Making games for the broadest audience doesn't satisfy anyone.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I got Bioshock 2 for ridiculously cheap, haven't yet tried it or the DLC, but now I want to.

Focus groups are killing games. Making games for the broadest audience doesn't satisfy anyone.
    Valve uses focus groups. It's not focus groups killing games, it's retard publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Did any of you play the Minerva's Den addon for BioShock 2? I still think it's the single best part of the series. It's a wholly self-contained story with more depth than any of the two main games, and all of the gameplay progression compressed into five hours (which fixes the real problem of both games, the plodding endgame). Plus the best level design of the series.

It's really too bad that it was put out as DLC for BioShock 2 rather than its own product on XBLA/PSN/Steam/whatever, because I think that substantially limited its audience (to people who still had BioShock 2 months after release AND the subset of that group who actually bothered to check for DLC).
    You know I think I bought it with leftover MS points once I sold my 360, but I never actually played it. Thank you for the virtual kick in the ass to do so.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    I think what DX:HR and BioShock 2 point to is not a recapturing of the quality of the classics (since I'd say that talent has never disappeared), but a realization that perhaps the lowest common denominator (or, more specifically, the lowest common denominator that will actually display an interest in this type of game) is actually not quite as stupid as previously believed.
    I agree with this but it's a lesson we see constantly. Dark Souls, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age, Arkham City, The Witcher, etc. All deep and interesting SP games, all sold well. Yet we still get Dragon Age 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3 and are cited as attempts to broaden appeal. All they do is piss off old fans. The type of people who didn't care about Dragon Age won't go for the sequel no matter much blood and tits you put in the trailer.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Did any of you play the Minerva's Den addon for BioShock 2? I still think it's the single best part of the series. It's a wholly self-contained story with more depth than any of the two main games, and all of the gameplay progression compressed into five hours (which fixes the real problem of both games, the plodding endgame). Plus the best level design of the series.

It's really too bad that it was put out as DLC for BioShock 2 rather than its own product on XBLA/PSN/Steam/whatever, because I think that substantially limited its audience (to people who still had BioShock 2 months after release AND the subset of that group who actually bothered to check for DLC).
    I probably wouldn't have given Minerva's Den a shot if you hadn't mentioned it here, but your praise of it piqued my interest. It was definitely worth the $5, although I can't agree that it was better than either of the two main games as I didn't have a problem with their story or length. I did, however, enjoy the simpler gameplay. Anyway, +1 to you and thanks for the (indirect) recommendation!
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Well, the thing is that Irrational didn't make #2.

I'd be more excited for a new Freedom Force myself.
    This post is old but I'll respond anyway: The co-developer of Bioshock 2, Arkane Studios, is making Dishonored. It's a Looking Glass-inspired FPS and it looking pretty rad: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...teath-preview/

It was hard to decide if news of this coming to iOS was most appropriately placed in the Apple games thread, the Pachter predictions thread, or this one, but this seemed like the safest bet.

8. should have been placed in the garbage can

9. Correct.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.