Thread: Vista Ultimate vs Home Premium

Vista Ultimate vs Home Premium

In getting ready for Crysis, I'm thinking about finally getting a DX10 card and Vista. I am confused about which version of Vista I want. I will be getting the 64-bit OEM version, but I can't figure out what Ultimate does that Home Premium doesn't. Can anyone help or make some recommendations? The OEM versions are about $80 different in price.

I don't think this will be of much help, but in the official propaganda at work states that the two main features that Ultimate has that home premium doesn't have is better backup support and the remote desktop feature.

None of our systems at work have Ultimate loaded on them, all are either home basic or premium, so I can't give any real world differences between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    In getting ready for Crysis, I'm thinking about finally getting a DX10 card and Vista. I am confused about which version of Vista I want. I will be getting the 64-bit OEM version, but I can't figure out what Ultimate does that Home Premium doesn't. Can anyone help or make some recommendations? The OEM versions are about $80 different in price.
    Goto microsoft.com and DL that vista ready scan for you computer. It'll scan your comp to see if it can handle vista, it will also outline all the differences between each verison and "recommend" which one is for you. Personally I just went with home basic, because just about every other verison had media center apart of it and media center fucks everything up if you're trying to do music production on your comp. But I doubt that should be a problem for you. Plus there is still a lot of god damn stuff that doesn't work right in vista or work at all.

4. 64-bit is a bad idea if you want to play games, or at least that's the impression I get. I'm running 32-bit home premium.

5. home premium will be good for what you need it for, ultimate just has more stuff you probably won't use like remote desktop and such

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

6. Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    64-bit is a bad idea if you want to play games, or at least that's the impression I get. I'm running 32-bit home premium.
    I purchased the 32 bit version of home premium, but later registered to get the 64 bit upgrade free. That shit was terrible. every program ran much slower and it was just trash. Stick with the 32bit version, as it works just fine and will have everything you need.

7. i have Ultimate. some of the main advantages are

- a partition magic type of app built in. you can resize, create and delete partitions from within windows

- i got 32 and 64 bit in one package (two discs). when you buy ultimate you get both. stay the fuck away from 64-bit. you have been warned.

- ultimate extras. http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...ate_extras.asp
    gimmicky stuff right now but bitdefender can be good if you're into encrypting your stuff. dreamscene is nice if you have a rig that can handle it

- ultimate and the business class are the only oones to support two PHYSICAL processors

- system image backup and recovery, shadowcopy, EFS (encrypted file system)

- more networking features

- windows fax and scan (if that pleasures you)

i'm glad you're getting a better video card but to get Vista and a new card for a game that can be played in XP/DX 9 seems silly. i highly doubt the "bebefits" of dx10 will be worth the cost of that upgrade.
    Last edited by Dyne; 28 Aug 2007 at 01:20 PM.

8. I guess it's Ultimate for me when I do upgrade in a few months. I use Remote Desktop and that partitioning utility will probably be useful. Besides, "Ultimate" sounds better when you're buying a new OS. Who wants less than that? (Don't answer: not a serious question.)