Thread: MAME help needed

1. MAME help needed

I've been using the same build of MacMAME and the same set of ROMs for almost two years now, and now for no apparent reason every other game I try to play tells me that some bullshit files are missing. I can't figure it out, and using a different emulator isn't an option. This really fucking sucks because I just got my gamepads working properly, and suddenly this shit happens.
    Is this a common problem, or something that only happens to me?

Most of the Street Fighter and KOF games have this problem, and when I check for the missing files, they are actually 'missing' but I don't understand why it's only now that it's a problem. These games ran fine before without those files, and they ran on the exact same emulator.

2. Check the names. ALWAYS check the names, they could have been renamed without you knowing. Run an audit and see the correct names. Normally they are only a few letters off the normal.

Like some of the CAVE and Raizing (Dimahoo) seem to have an unneeded "m" on some websites, to keep up with name changes in certain versions (like 0.90. It does not need them, but I use Kawaks right now anyway, it works on my crap computer <_<). I get this a lot...

If it isn't that, then show me exactly what the problem is. I may not know everything little thing about emulators, but I know a bit.
    Still not thinking right? Then it isn't working.

3. No luck with the names, but I'm starting to wonder if I may have merged my ROM sets improperly, in other words overwriting my old working ROMs with the newer nonworking ones from a disc my friend gave me.

I did some research and found that most of the missing files are from CPS2 and neo games, and the CPS2 sets are missing some sort of decryption table that newer mame doesn't need.

If I've lost the older ones, am I SOL, or are they still available somewhere?

I wish I could run mameosx on my computer, but a G4 mac mini just isn't up to the task. I'm waiting on the new 45nm Penryn cpus to come out before I build a proper PC, but I'd like to get this thing srted out in the meantime.

4. There has been a recent trend with the new drivers for the Gui to require the "parent" directory of rom files which have multiple versions for other countries. Some also share the same code as special editions and such so when you add another title to the list, make sure you have both the original version of the game as well as any other editions like B,C and so fourth.

Another thing, if you can't get the game to show on the list, go to the full list and right click audit on said title. If you still can't get this, then you may have to start searching a few emulation forums cause I can't help you.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

5. I have all of the proper parent roms and everything is in the right folders. All my games appear in the list, some just have missing files.
    I must have fucked up my roms. Now I need to track down roms for mame 0.96. Fuck.

6. Oh I just remembered ClrMAMEPro. I don't use it, but maybe you will. Also try Romcenter.

ClrMAMEPro checks your roms to see which game they are from and what name they should be for that game, for CRC errors, etc. I think Romcenter does the same, but I don't use either <<; I don't know much about it.

0.96? I can help you. Sent PM.
    Still not thinking right? Then it isn't working.