Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about the Ninja Gaiden series

1. Lets talk about the Ninja Gaiden series

Let us reminisce about the classic Ninja Gaiden games- Debate about the XBox sequel can stay in other threads...

It all started out as a Final Fight/Double Dragon-esque brawler in the arcades. It went on to become a largely unrelated NES sidescroller that garnered the love of many young gamers in America. Two sequels were released on the NES, both of which were excellent games. There was a MegaDrive release of the arcade game, and the Lynx also got NG3 (I heard the PC Engine got it too, but my source may have NG confused with Ninja Spirit). Tecmo released an SNES cart with all three NES NG games on it. Other than that, the series remained untouched until Team Ninja (ugh) started work on an XBox sequel...

I, for one LOVE this series. Its one of the first games I had been exposed to which had cutscenes. The story, though a bit clishe' had much more substance to it than most other (platform)games of the time.

The gameplay is very much like a fast-paced (NES/SNES) Castlevania. The special technique system (even the move execution) is nearly identical to Castlevania. The fast pace, coupled with the ability to cling to and climb walls added its own unique feel. Briliant and Excellent.

The graphics, at places, featured some awesome, even groundbreaking effects. Remember the Lightning stage (1st portion of Tower of Lajah) in NG2? [Sadly, this effect was totally ruined in the SNES NGTrilogy- that makes me MAD] Remember the PARALLAX in the desert stage of NG3? Beautiful.

My favorite aspect of the NG series is the Music, hands-down. The intro to NG2; the desert, lava cave, and water cave stages of NG3; The Labyinth stage of NG2; Stage 2, section 1 of NG1. Its all AUDIO BLISS!!!

I can't love the Ninja Gaiden series any more than can be legally (or morally) allowed...

2. Yup, Ninja Gaiden did come to the PC Engine. I don't think it made it here on the Turbo tho'. It was a remake of the NES Ninja Gaiden 1. The Atari Lynx also got a port of the arcade Ninja Gaiden 1 in addition to a port of the NES Ninja Gaiden 3. I belive the Genny Ninja Gaiden was something new entirely, and not a port of the arcade version, although it remained a beat em up like the arcade version.

I never really played the NES 2 and 3, but 1 was one of my all time favorites and certainly better than the arcade incarnation. Great fast pased action. Enemies that explode cleanly into nothingness on contact with your sword is always a physics defying good time.

3. The first Ninja Gaiden I played was the arcade game. I liked it a lot. So much in fact, that we would WALK across town to play it at a resturant. Everything about it was cool. The funky joystick with the button on top for grabbing. The music that ripped off Iron Man. Ahhh, good times.

Then I got the NES game. WTF? What happened? THIS isn't Ninja Gaiden?
    Oh wait a sec. This is much BETTER! The NES Ninja Gaiden games are way more fun then the arcade version. More action. Faster gameplay. And super cool cut scenes between stages.

Nothing beats the continue screen on the arcade version though.

I now have the JAMMA board at my house, and play it almost never. The game just hasen't aged well.

I can't wait to see how the Xbox version comes out. Some people say it looks like a beat'em up. Well, Ninja Gaiden always was a beat'em up. Bact to the roots, I say. I'm sure it will come out good. Least it'll be purdy.

4. My take on the NG series...

NG arcade had some cool features, but the lack of story and its slow gameplay turned it into a redundant beat-em-up with little value.

NG 1 on NES was totally different(another benefit of the NES not being able to do direct ports), and had an interesting story, better gameplay, and cool cutscenes. Check out the PC Engine version of this, everything was redone.

NG 2's plot was simpler, but the gameplay was hella improved, and the cutscenes were still great.

NG 3 was made either because the fans demanded it or Tecmo wanted to ride the wave as long as they could. Whatever the reason, it didn't live up to its predecessors. Story was weak, gameplay took a step back(slower and easier), even the semi-3D backgrounds from the first two became flat 2D ones here.

Portable NGs are ok, but not quite up to par with the NES ones.

NG Trilogy sucks ass. Pure laziness.

Still skeptical about the XBOX sequel, hope it turns out good.

5. You play Ninja Gaiden for the story?

"Who's there? Just a woman..."

Sorry, I know what you really ment. I'm just kidding with ya.

6. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    You play Ninja Gaiden for the story?
    No, I play it for the ELLIPSES!!!

7. yes, yes, yes! the ninja gaiden series had some great music. i would never have thought they could get a drum beat to sound like that comin' ot of an nes sound processor.

8. I get the impression that the Mega Drive version of Ninja Gaiden was never released and the ROM dump was just a beta somebody stumble into. Apparently, it was a Japanese-only release, but I checked out several Japanese Game Databases and none of them has the game listed. One website has the game listed in the unreleased section.

Anyway, the first two Ninja Gaiden games for the NES were classics, but part 3 was a letdown (especially when the Japanese version had a password feature and was much easier). NG Trilogy sucked ass and the Arcade game was fun for about ten minutes.

9. Originally posted by rama
    yes, yes, yes! the ninja gaiden series had some great music. i would never have thought they could get a drum beat to sound like that comin' ot of an nes sound processor.
    Have you ever played the Japanese Castlevania III? Whoa!!! Where the heck are those drum sounds coming from! Too bad our Castlevania III never got the special sound chip....

10. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    Have you ever played the Japanese Castlevania III? Whoa!!! Where the heck are those drum sounds coming from! Too bad our Castlevania III never got the special sound chip....
    what?!? special soundchip in japanese version of castlevania 3!?!?.....heck, i already thought the music in that game was pretty hot with it's sound...