Page 1 of 32 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Right to Bear Arms

The Right to Bear Arms

The constitutional right to bear arms has outlived it's usefulness. Do you think a popular uprising, should one be invoked, would not be easily snuffed out by our military? The small arms we posses would be nothing against a real military presence, and only serve to let criminals murder each other and innocent civilians in the streets.

Discuss.

2. The Constitution did not give us that right; it only serves to protect it. Are you calling for an amendment that would take it away entirely?

3. If European countries can do without guns, why can't we?

4. I agree that we don't need to have guns in our homes, but I've never taken that next step into advocating having them outlawed. I suppose you could classify them as a public health menace, or whatever language would work. But there are far simpler battles to be won that our country can't seem to straighten out. Banning guns at this present time is a political lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    If European countries can do without guns, why can't we?
    Because we're a bunch of dumb fucking yahoo cowboys.

6. Going back to the original post, haven't there in fact been cases where armed politically minded people have holed themselves up and held off the authorities for a short time? Assuming the "popular uprising" you speak of had some noble purpose and the military was still largely made up of at least semi-reasonable people that weren't itching to bomb the opposition to cinders, couldn't guns bring some bargaining power to the table or buy some valuable time?

Personally, I go for the pen over the sword, but the world can change drastically.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree that we don't need to have guns in our homes, but I've never taken that next step into advocating having them outlawed. I suppose you could classify them as a public health menace, or whatever language would work. But there are far simpler battles to be won that our country can't seem to straighten out. Banning guns at this present time is a political lost cause.
    But banning guns can prevent a lot of senseless violence happening in inner-cities where guns are just as easy to get as a sandwich from the corner bodega.

I'm not arguing that there aren't other bigger problems that our country has to deal with but gun violence is out of control. I've been a firm believer for years that guns have no necessity in the hands of civilians and local law enforcement. Let state law enforcement and our military handle firearms. That way, the government can keep a tight leash on who exactly has these guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Because we're a bunch of dumb fucking yahoo cowboys.
    Agreed. I've seen enough gun violence on my block alone because of wanna-be Clint Eastwoods to warrant having them banned.

8. Cocaine's illegal, but more people have done it than have held a gun. Take guns out of the hands of the policemen on the street in America and you are going to get yourself in serious hot water in those same inner-city communities you're talking about. Why? Because just as is the case with drugs, there will be an underground market for guns.

I will say that illegally possessed guns will almost certainly be far less plentiful if all guns were banned outright for civilian use; so go that way but keep them with the cops for a good start. Then maybe someday we could take the next step.

9. My old professor's family is rooted in Chicago. He showed us pictures of the house and the secret little nooks where they've hidden over 20 guns. When the revolution happens, I'm on his side and you can join us.