Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3141434445

Thread: Nevar Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Our politics are so polarized that a lot of people did just root for Blue Team but I think plenty of people called him out on it. The issue was he gave all those shitty policies bipartisan cover. In a way, it's almost worse than what Dubya did, since he had a chance to roll it back in a real way, but decided to embrace it. I must admit I became fairly disillusioned seeing the sites I read attack Dubya so vociferously and then just giving Obama a pass on literally the exact same shit.
    Yep. Pretty disillusioned with obama. Patriot act is still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Well put. I don't feel many people on the left have even looked under the hood at Obamas demons because Obama was hyper charismatic. Same thing w Trudeau up here in Canada. It's almost worse because of the halo effect mixed with a tinge of feel-good but weaponized empathy/equity. That's kind of a new thing.
    To be fair the last PM was a monarchy-lover, against weed legalization, spewed thinly veiled racism, promoted terrorism fear mongering, and imitated theocratic American leaders' speeches with "God bless Canada" crap. I'm sure the honeymoon period with Trudeau will end some time but for now having him feels like a win just by being less shitty.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I don't feel many people on the left have even looked under the hood at Obamas demons because Obama was hyper charismatic.
    As I am super crazy liberal about most things my wife was blown away to hear I had some legit issues with the guy. When I explained them she was like, "I never heard about that stuff." She'd read zero articles about the nonsense with the Espionage Act or the whistleblower problems, as examples. "But he's a great President!" See what I quoted below from Diff.

Trump is pretty shitty though. No excuses there.
    We're pretty shitty. We created him and we deserve him.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I must admit I became fairly disillusioned seeing the sites I read attack Dubya so vociferously and then just giving Obama a pass on literally the exact same shit.
    Yup. It's frustrating as hell to see the double standard in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Patriot act is still a thing.
    I can't truly prioritize stuff but that's probably the most frustrating thing. I'm including his embrace of it as part of it all.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    And I definitely don't think we need more identity politics.
    Depends on what you mean by that. Righting wrongs that disproportionately affect one group is not only morally correct, but usually beneficial to society as a whole. For instance, Black Lives Matter, aims to address police abuses by focusing on the most vulnerable, but the policies that promote that make everyone safer.

But the identity politics of social media are nothing like this. They are often wholly divorced from any kind of policy or indeed real "politics." They're just about "calling out," labeling and pointing at those that date to defy whatever orthodoxy has coalesced. This is sometimes well meaning, but just as often empty virtue signalling, and the vast majority is counterproductive regardless of intent.

It's also potentially exploitive when it bleeds into the actual political realm. Politicians will do the "calling out" and pandering but never do anything policy-wise that actually helps these groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I can't truly prioritize stuff but that's probably the most frustrating thing. I'm including his embrace of it as part of it all.
    Its essentially a SS or Gestapo act. Somebody can accuse you of being a terrorist (jew, partisan, communist) and the cops can just spy on you and bust into your house.

it's bullshit.

And in 2017, busting in your house means tear gas in your baby crib, being executed if you are holding anything that even kind of looks like a gun, and having your dog shot.

7. Click for full size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BE87F13-E71E-44FA-86C3-6AA7023F7986.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	81401
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Yoooooooooo.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. President Trump on the solemn day that is 9/11.