Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for you networkers

1. Question for you networkers

We have a windows 2000 computer that we want to lock out anyone except for a specific normal user and and admin user, is there a local policy (I can't seem to find one that works) that we can use to only allow those 2 access or some other way in windows 2000?

THROW THAT SHIT OUT THE WINDOW

3. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    We have a windows 2000 computer that we want to lock out anyone except for a specific normal user and and admin user, is there a local policy (I can't seem to find one that works) that we can use to only allow those 2 access or some other way in windows 2000?
    you could just set a bios password that only they know. that way "normal" people wouldn't even be able to boot the damn thing.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    Just remove the computer from the domain if it is on one and set it up on a local workgroup. Create 2 users, 1 user, 1 admin and setup with passwords.

or...

If you need domain access then access your local security policy on the 2k machine and edit the log on locally policy under user rights just to allow those 2 particular users. That should work.

5. Hrm it seemed to ignore those policies oddly enough, I tried the Deny and Allow access from network and no luck.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    Hrm it seemed to ignore those policies oddly enough, I tried the Deny and Allow access from network and no luck.
    Is the 2K box part of the domain and are you trying to access secpol.msc as local admin/domain admin?

Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Netwurked View Post
    Is the 2K box part of the domain and are you trying to access secpol.msc as local admin/domain admin?
    It's part of the domain, it needs access to certain folders for our staff who isn't always in the office, but we don't want them logging on with their personal accounts and putting lots of crap on the computer.

9. 1. Logon as Local Administrator
    2. Open Administrative Tools\Local Security Settings
    3. In the left pane select Local Policies
    4. Edit "Access this computer from the network" entry and add allowed users and remove the unwanted users.
    5. Edit "Log On Locally" entry and add allowed users and remove the unwanted users.
    6. Open Administrative Tools\Computer Management.
    7. In the left pane select "Local Users and Groups"
    8. Edit "Administrators" entry and add allowed users and remove the unwanted users. ( just make sure that you at least have the administrator account enabled with full access, otherwise you will not be able to log in to your pc)
    9. Log out and Log Back in to test changes.

hope this helps.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    This really is the best solution, but ONLY if you follow it out.

I'm hiring Josh as my level 1 networking guy for an obscene amount of money when I move to New York.
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 17 Sep 2007 at 08:54 PM.