Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Random hangups/restarts

1. Tried messing around with different driver versions?

2. Yeah, I did. My reliability monitor says it's an OS issue. My solution center keeps telling me that windows fails because of a hardware error. Looks like I'm calling evga and getting it replaced. Hopefully the issue is made clear, or at least goes away once replaced. How is the RMA process with evga, and their customer service?

3. I don't know much, but I imagine they would be pretty easy to deal with, lifetime warranty and all.

4. My recent BSOD regarding this problem points at nvlddmkm.sys, a simple google search on the subject produces hundreds of people and circumstances regarding this issue. Some have issue upgrading to Vista because of this, and some experience my exact problem, random lockups/crashes/BSODS or straight up reboots. Random because there are no discerning causes, but once started will occur more often unless you leave it alone a while.

I was about to submit an RMA for my card but it really does seem to be software related. My only question is why it chose almost 2 months into the lifecyle to mess up now.

5. Try uninstalling your drivers, wiping the hard drive clean of any remains of them using something like this, then reinstalling your drivers.

Just seems like part of the driver keeps fucking up, and if you've been going between driver revisions, it's likely somewhere in there something happened.

6. Pop your computer opoTry cleaning all the dust out of it.

7. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I've tried both recently, neither producing any results. I even went through a long process to delete older instances of the same .sys file, but even that produced nothing. The only solace I can take is that this is a problem that thousands upon thousands are experiencing alongside me, so hopefully within a reasonable amount of time there will be some sort of fix.

The only options at this point that would produce immedate results is switching to XP or attempting a reformat and clean install of Vista.

8. Ah, you're using Vista? I hear nvidia Vista drivers suck...I'm sorry

9. Well, that does it. In my quest to fix this problem my nvidia network controller drivers got borked. I can't access the internet and the drivers are missing or corrupt. Attempting to re-install the driver software results in an "access is denied" error. INstalling the drivers from my mobo disc prove worthless. Nvidia is a sad sack of shit for letting their Vista drivers suck so badly.

I'm saving what I can and then reformatting with a clean install of Vista, or XP Pro.

10. Good luck, sir