Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Think You Have A Bad Commute

1. Think You Have A Bad Commute

Discuss.

This is fuel for my "Type Ryan" philosophy on driving that basically states that people need to become more aware of how they drive and how they share space with others on the road.

I've been called insane by both family and friends, but guess what? The difference between Insanity and Genius is measured only by success. I know for a fact that if my approach were implemented, I would win the Nobel Prize for increasing fuel economy during an individual's commute (while reducing drive time), reduce the wear-and-tear on your automobile, and - most importantly - save taxpayers millions of dollars and headaches associated with the construction of new highways.

The fact is, you have to change the way people drive in order for things to get better. It may not happen within the next 10 years, but society will need to change their mentality before getting behind the wheel in order to minimize the traffic jams associated with an ever increasing population.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

2. I was a professional courier in South Florida. You think you have it bad in traffic?
    Boo, Hiss.

In other words, Ryan, people need to learn how to merge.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. I love the subway/bus system here in NYC. Sure, it is not perfect and can be a pain. But day to day, the fact that I almost never have to drive to go anywhere is a blessing. I figure I live at least 2 years longer not having to get behind the wheel and get all stressed out from stupid drivers, traffic jams/accidents, gas, wear and tear, etc etc etc.

5. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I was a professional courier in South Florida. You think you have it bad in traffic?
    Based on my 90 minute commute this morning (31 miles one-way) and this article... yes, I do.

I'd also like to mention that while interning at a securities firm in Newport Beach, CA, I witnessed - first-hand - the joy that is Southern CA traffic. I also have family in Miami and have witnessed the traffic there.

City traffic is different than highway traffic. Also, if you were a professional courier, did you ride a bike? If you did, you had it a lot easier than anyone in a car.
    Last edited by Type Ryan; 18 Sep 2007 at 05:00 PM.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

6. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    In other words, Ryan, people need to learn how to merge.

That's one component, but through the course of my research I've discovered that driving is as much a pyschological issue as it is a physical one (actually driving your car).

People need to feel comfortable behind the wheel of their car, those that don't are the pussies who don't understand that it is their job to match the speed of the traffic up ahead and not for that traffic to slow down to match the speed of someone merging.
    Last edited by Type Ryan; 18 Sep 2007 at 05:02 PM.

7. Besides there being an accident, if everyone just went the god damn speed limit everyones commute time would be greatly reduced. I swear there are more assholes going 5-10 under the speed limit during rush hour than there are going the speed limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Type Ryan View Post
    Also, if you were a professional courier, did you ride a bike? If you did, you had it a lot easier than anyone in a car.
    No sir, all car - medicine/medical equipment. And I coordinated all hospice deliveries for 3 counties. Seriously.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Type Ryan
    People need to feel comfortable behind the wheel of their car
    Disagree.

Every old lady and bitch on a cell phone needs to be intimidated and frightened back into the right hand lane. One of the main problems, particularly in Socal, is that everyone is so laid back people will merge into the left lanes for no reason at any (slow) speed without consequence. If you are in the left lane with no cars in front of you, going less than 15mph over the limit, and not passing someone, you need to get frightened back to the right and learn to never get in the left hand lane again. It's so messed up here that in any traffic in CA the right hand lane will be fastest 90% of the time. It forces a lot of weaving for the cars that want to go fast and makes it far slower and more dangerous for everyone.
    Last edited by stormy; 18 Sep 2007 at 05:12 PM.

10. It is interesting to see that LA always come out on top for worst traffic in a metropolitan city.

I really hate driving here in NYC. I don't know why it is not worse than some of the other cities. The problem here is that you are stuck for half an hour to an hour to go 2 miles. Whereas, in LA, you might be going for 10 miles. Not sure which is worse, lol.