Page 15 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking TNL Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I recently got into those coloured greens and I can rightfully say I've spent most of my life just not knowing whats up.
    the greens in the pic are spinach and mustard greens mixed and slow cooked for an hour or two with smoked pork.

2. The conebread looks fine but the top pic looks like 2 girls 1 plate.

I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. I think I'm going to make macaroni and cheese (home made of course) and collard greens. I agree with whoever mentioned them, they are extremely delicious.

This is how I cook my collard greens:

1 bunch collard greens, stems removed, and cut into strips or small (1.5" x 1.5") squares.
    about 2 tbs salt (I prefer kosher)
    Large pinch crushed red pepper or small pinch cayenne pepper
    6 strips diced bacon
    1/2 large onion, diced
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 smoked ham hocks. If you can't find ham hocks, sliced smoked turkey drumsticks or wings or any smoked pig or turkey will work.

Heat a large stockpot, about 8 quarts, over med-med high heat until its hot. Add the bacon, sautee for a few minutes to render some fat, and add the onion. When the bacon looks ready and the onion is nice and golden brown, add the garlic and sautee it for about a minute, just to get some of the flavor out.

Remove the pan from heat, and add the greens and hocks. The greens will be huge, and you'll physically have to shove them down to fit them all in the pot. Add enough water to cover it all. Now add the rest of the spices (salt, pepper, etc.)

Bring this up to a boil. Boil for a minute, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let them cook for about 2 hours, or until everything's tender; stirring occasionally. About 10 minutes before you take it off the stove, remove the ham hocks from the greens. Pull all of the meat off of the bones, so that everyone can fully enjoy the porky goodness. Put both the meat and the bones back into the pot.

4. I"ll be bringing the mashed potatoes and a baked ziti to Thanksgiving this year. It's a weird tradition with my wife and I to make pasta on thanksgiving. THe ziti is not your school lunch bullshit. It's made with fresh tomato sauce beschamel and fresh mozzarella.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    The conebread looks fine but the top pic looks like 2 girls 1 plate.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. It looks like I took a crap on the cornbread after eating spinach for a week (since I can't digest leafy greens).

6. Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    since I can't digest leafy greens
    What else do you have trouble digesting? I'm interested in the condition of your colon.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Tonight I am making lasagna with a homemade ragu sauce and bechamel sauce instead of riccota. Also having garlic bread and salad. For dessert I am going to try out an eggnog cheesecake recipe I found. God I love eggnog.

8. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I"ll be bringing the mashed potatoes and a baked ziti to Thanksgiving this year. It's a weird tradition with my wife and I to make pasta on thanksgiving. THe ziti is not your school lunch bullshit. It's made with fresh tomato sauce beschamel and fresh mozzarella.
    I can't think of ziti anymore without thinking of The Sopranos too. It seems like the had whole episodes about the ziti that they would make.

9. For thanksgiving: Cornbread and maybe Green Bean Cassarole.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    What else do you have trouble digesting? I'm interested in the condition of your colon.
    Yeah so basically, I spent a good hunk of time on the bowl in college. I kept getting bad abdominal pains, then I'd essentially shit out the 'cork', wipe, get up and anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes later, the cramps would come back worse and I'd have to go shit again, this time of the soft serve or worse variety. I'd get wipe and get up... and the cramps would start in the same time frame after the first poop. Usually on the 3rd or 4th I would get an immense fart. Repeat until I laid down and slept it off (missed many a class because of this).

So time goes by and I think it's lactose intolerant... wasn't that. Too much red meat? No. Then I take a look at one of the movements. Little flecks of lettuce.

I cut leafy greens out of my diet and it hasn't happened since. A regular influx of yogurt and mini wheats and my logs are CHAMPIONS.