Here is how I make hamburgers:

Ingredients:
    1-1 1/2 lb Meat
    1/4 onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    salt
    pepper
    1 egg (optional)

I try to keep my burgers pretty simple, but still have a lot of flavor. With hamburgers, the fat content plays a big role in how they turn out. I like to use between 80-85% fat content; any fattier, and they shrink up too much, and leaner meat will be drier and more bland.

Basically, mix everything together, without overworking the meat. Make the patties larger than you think they should be, and make them thinner in the center of the patty. Preheat the pan, and cook for about 5 or 6 minutes per side.

Other pan recipes (you need to be able to put your pan in the oven for these)

Steak: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Turn the stove onto high. Stick pan in oven to get it really hot. Trim steaks, and season with salt and pepper. Melt a tablespoon or two of butter in the pan, and sear the steaks for about a minute per side. Put in the oven for about 8 minutes, check for doneness, and wrap them in aluminum foil. Wrapping meat after it comes off the heat allows the meat to reabsorb the juices, so that when you cut into it, they won't go all over the place.

I made an omelette with chopped spinich, baby portabella mushrooms, red onion, and soy chedder cheese. it was the fucking jam.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post

Ingredients:
    1-1 1/2 lb Meat
    1/4 onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    salt
    pepper
    1 egg (optional)

I try to keep my burgers pretty simple, but still have a lot of flavor. With hamburgers, the fat content plays a big role in how they turn out. I like to use between 80-85% fat content; any fattier, and they shrink up too much, and leaner meat will be drier and more bland.

Basically, mix everything together, without overworking the meat. Make the patties larger than you think they should be, and make them thinner in the center of the patty. Preheat the pan, and cook for about 5 or 6 minutes per side.

Steak: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Turn the stove onto high. Stick pan in oven to get it really hot. Trim steaks, and season with salt and pepper. Melt a tablespoon or two of butter in the pan, and sear the steaks for about a minute per side. Put in the oven for about 8 minutes, check for doneness, and wrap them in aluminum foil. Wrapping meat after it comes off the heat allows the meat to reabsorb the juices, so that when you cut into it, they won't go all over the place.
    This man is wise.

Also, add bread crumbs and 2 eggs for awesome meatballs.
    Last edited by Advocate; 14 Oct 2007 at 11:42 PM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. Pan burger:
    After pan is heated (medium) add
    couple tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, pinch of thyme, and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Reduce by 1/3 or so.
    Salt and pepper patty and add to pan. Check doneness after 4 minutes a side. Looking for medium. Rare burgers are disgusting.

Makes a nice glaze on the whole outside.

Edit: like Tones said I like 80/20 chuck. Or 85/15 sirloin if I'm feeling fancy.
    Boo, Hiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post

Ingredients:
    1-1 1/2 lb Meat
    1/4 onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    salt
    pepper
    1 egg (optional)

I might be screwing up by buying pre-made paddies.

Are you using the fat in the meat to grease the pan, or are you pregreasing it with something else? Butter, lard, pam, what?

And how do you prevent that burnt gue shit that forms on the side of the pan? I'm assuming it is fat that has had all the moisture cooked out of it. How do I minimize that, as I've found it increases the chances of burning the burger. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as the first burger always comes out good. It is the third and forth burger that ends up looking like ass.

6. Never buy pre-made patties.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Spelling and grammar nazi post deleted.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Clean the pan before the 3rd burger. it'll add TWO FUCKING MINUTES to your cooking time, but whatever.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Also, add bread crumbs and 2 eggs for awesome meatballs.
    The secret to perfect meatballs is pork.

10. I feel like I want to make dinner tonight, but I have no clue what would be cheap yet interesting to make for 3 people.

LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS <3