Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Telenet Japan Closes Its Doors

1. Meh Telenet Japan Closes Its Doors

According to this article Telenet was deeply in debt and closed last Thursday. Here's Babelfish's translation:

(Inc.) Japanese Telenet - business stop

Industry kind game software sale
    Place resident in area Tokyo Toshima Ku east Ikebukuro 4-21-6
    Facilities stand 1983 October
    18 secondary industry members
    Generation chart person Fukushima harmony line
    Main gold 1 hundred million 8,135 ten thousand Yen of resources
    About debt sum total 10 hundred million Yen

Business was stopped to 2007 October 25th, left posterior processing to the attorney.

This corporation being the game software development dealership, the pachinko game software developed sold to subject, appropriated about gross sales 4 hundred million 5,200 ten thousand Yen in 2006 March period, but debt excess state continued with the failure of game center management at the American subsidiary company and deterioration of profit characteristic, also own power reconstruction of the management with the goodwill transfer of the game software and the sale etc. of possession stock became the limit and became the latest situation.

Attorney shine Hisashi Nara (the Tokyo Chiyoda Ku Kasumigaseki 3-5-1, TEL 03-3500-3200) to leave posterior processing, as for debt sum total thing about of 10 hundred million Yen.
    This is sad news indeed. Telenet's Americna branch, Renovation, gave us some great Genesis games like Valis 3, Gaiares, Whip Rush, El Viento, and Arcuss Odyssey. They also released some great Turbo Grafx-16 titles.

Me am sad.
    Last edited by Melf; 30 Oct 2007 at 11:09 AM.

I always have mixed feelings about these types of happenings. While I miss their 16-bit games, at least they can't dig them up and piss on the bones like so many other companies have.

3. I remember some of their 16bit games, and they were fun. I didn't know they were still around.

Telenet may have well been dead to gamers this past decade anyway but it's always sad to see an old game company die off. I was a big fan in the 16-bit era.

5. I'd thought that Telenet was out of business years ago. They haven't released a game since the 90's, so what exactly have they been doing for the past 15 years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Telenet_games

*edit*

They did release a couple of titles for the PS2 and Playstation in Japan, but still not what I'd call enough to stay in business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenet_Japan
    Last edited by gamevet; 30 Oct 2007 at 12:35 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I always have mixed feelings about these types of happenings. While I miss their 16-bit games, at least they can't dig them up and piss on the bones like so many other companies have.
    Actually, Telenet did manage to release a series of Hentai adventure games to celebrate Valis' 15th aniversary before they folded. Nothing like getting raped on your birthday! (literally in this case)

I like Telenet, but they haven't actually made a game worth playing since the late 90s and they've been in serious trouble since the mid 90s. I guess it was inevitable.

My dream (which will never happen) is that tri-Ace or Namco will buy the rights to those old Wolfteam properties and do a few of them justice (or at least release a compilation)
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 30 Oct 2007 at 12:40 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'd thought that Telenet was out of business years ago. They haven't released a game since the 90's, so what exactly have they been doing for the past 15 years?
    [/url]
    Their biggest asset is the fact that they've owned 60% (and then later 40%) of the company that makes all the "Tales of" RPGs for Namco for over a decade. I guess Namco will be snatching up the remaining shares, now.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 30 Oct 2007 at 12:41 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    My dream (which will never happen) is that tri-Ace or Namco will buy the rights to those old Wolfteam properties and do a few of them justice (or at least release a compilation)
    I'd kill for a collection of their Genesis and TG-16 stuff.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I'd kill for a collection of their Genesis and TG-16 stuff.
    Don't forget the X68000 stuff, which included superior versions of most of their Genesis games.

10. Sad times. Maybe someone will buy the rights to some of those classic games. I loved me some El Viento (Wolfteam!) but I never played Annet Again. How was the sequel?