Page 29 of 358 FirstFirst ... 152527282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Wii Thread

1. Good for you.

2. Playing street hockey outside with your friends is the goty.
    Donk

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    If you think Mario Galaxy has the best art ever, that's fine.
    I don't. I think it's perfect for the game it's in, however.

Bioshock's world was incredibly cohesive. I think the art direction in that game is far better.
    I agree. Bioshock is also a cakewalk with a shitty endgame. It relies very heavily on its atmosphere to keep the player interested because without it the thing would completely drown in the sea of better-playing FPS that came out this year, none of which (barring Portal) have an atmosphere that can compare.

I don't think Mario Galaxy is game of the year, but that has nothing to do with the graphics, which are perfectly suited for the game itself. If I were to bitch about the Wii holding games back I'd focus more on Zelda and Metroid, which actually do place emphasis on graphics and sound to keep the player interested.

4. Yeah, but those better playing (not my words, but I can see where you are coming from) are on the list too. Here's the deal: SMG is like the Hawaii college football team of the video game world. Looks great for what it's on (just like Hawaii is a great WAC team), doesn't look worth much of a damn if we look at all games as a whole (just like Hawaii would be a mediocre SEC team). So in order for SMG to win my GOTY (Hawaii to win the national title), it'd have to STOMP everything out there (just like Hawaii would have to win by 60 every week). It does not STOMP everything out there. Even if I thought it played the best, it still would be too close for me to say that far superior graphics, sound and atmosphere didn't push other games in its favor. So the bottom line is that when there are games out there that push hardware and play fantastically, there's not room for SMG in my GOTY opinion. T

If I talk about a GOTY, it's not just about "pure fun" (whatever that means). It's the whole package, and SMG doesn't have it IMO. That's all I am going to say about this (unless something really interesting pops up).

Good analogy. I completely agree. You're making way too much sense in this thread. You should save some of that for the NCAA thread.

6. This argument is about as bad as any I've seen on TNL. Not considering Mario (or any game) for Game of the Year because it's not on an HD system is absolutely preposterous and you guys should honestly truly be embarrassed to have suggested it as folks that pretend to give a shit about video games.

7. I think Mario Galaxy is more like a couch full of scorpions. Some people really like scorpions, some people don't. A whole couch full of it would be immensely awesome to someone who appreciated scorpions, but would be disgusting and frightening to someone who didn't. If you had a van full of kittens and we called that van Mass Effect, then more people might like that van, but perhaps they wouldn't like that van as much as the people who liked scorpions liked the sofa full of scorpions. If you had a toffee factory and it had something to do with a Hawaiian football team, we could call it BioShock, then some people might like that toffee factory even more than the sofa full of scorpions or the van full of kittens, but perhaps the people who liked the scorpion sofa and the kitten van could join together and overcome the toffee factory people. The toffee factory would have to be pretty damn strong to beat both, but it might be able to take each one on independently.
    Donk

8. Finch wins the Wii thread. No need for an 8th thread, because it has been already been won.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    This argument is about as bad as any I've seen on TNL. Not considering Mario (or any game) for Game of the Year because it's not on an HD system is absolutely preposterous and you guys should honestly truly be embarrassed to have suggested it as folks that pretend to give a shit about video games.
    It's not that it's not being considered. It just won't win. The game of the year should be the complete package. Nintendo gimped Mario and the rest of their games with their ridiculous hardware decisions. Mario Galaxy is no where near good enough to overcome the hardware its on when compared to stellar games that also happen to support 1080p and 7.1 sound.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I think Mario Galaxy is more like a couch full of scorpions. Some people really like scorpions, some people don't. A whole couch full of it would be immensely awesome to someone who appreciated scorpions, but would be disgusting and frightening to someone who didn't. If you had a van full of kittens and we called that van Mass Effect, then more people might like that van, but perhaps they wouldn't like that van as much as the people who liked scorpions liked the sofa full of scorpions. If you had a toffee factory and it had something to do with a Hawaiian football team, we could call it BioShock, then some people might like that toffee factory even more than the sofa full of scorpions or the van full of kittens, but perhaps the people who liked the scorpion sofa and the kitten van could join together and overcome the toffee factory people. The toffee factory would have to be pretty damn strong to beat both, but it might be able to take each one on independently.
    But the toffee factory is on the DS.