View Poll Results: Select

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own or have owned both systems.

10 14.93%
  • I own or have owned a Vectrex but not a Virtual Boy.

5 7.46%
  • I own or have owned a Virtual Boy but not a Vectrex.

19 28.36%
  • I have never owned either.

33 49.25%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 24567 LastLast

Thread: The Two V's

1. I've played every game on Coleco and Vectrex, and I love them both, but I'd take the Vectrex particularly based on the exclusives and home-exclusives.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Oct 2007 at 10:41 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I had a second VB (I'd also bought from BB), but I'd sold it earlier this year on TNL.
    It sits lovingly infront of my closet with Wario Land getting the occasional play. I also picked up Mario Tennis as I had a song from there stuck in my head for, literally, years. Funny how I haven't played it since I bought it, though.

I love the Virtual Boy, although I never understood how they seriously tried to market it as a portable game machine. Really is a shame the system sold so poorly and for too much money.

I love vector games, so I love the Vectrex. It's definitely my favourite pre-crash system. I got lucky on an ebay auction a few years back - some random AOLer had put one up with "a dozen games". No pictures or anything. I managed to harass him into sending me some horrible 400x300 PCX image showing a vaguely Vectrex-shaped rectangle. Nevertheless, I took a risk and bid $100. Nobody else was as dumb as me, so I easily won the auction.

Imagine my surprise when, a week later, I get a package from UPS marked as a computer. It turned out to be the Vectrex - and it was in absolutely flawless condition. The "dozen games" turned out to be 18 games, most of which included the overlays. No Minestorm II or anything stupidly rare, but it did include Star Castle, Spike, Rip-Off, and a bunch of other great games. Best thing I have ever bought on ebay.

My Virtual Boy is missing the stand. You can imagine how comfortable it is to play this for any period of time. It doesn't help that I can't find a focus setting that doesn't give me a shrieking headache.

4. I played five stages of Red Alarm today without a stand.

Somehow, I've never gotten a headache from the thing. Still wasn't comfortable.

Do you wear glasses? I do, and maybe that affects things.

6. Nah, no glasses.

7. I had a VB for a few years. Didn't get much playtime on the whole, but the time I did spend with it was marathon. I never got headaches or eyestrain from it, but I did always use it while lying down. I only had Mario Tennis, Galactic Pinball, Wario Land, and Red Alarm. The latter two were the ones most played.

8. Had both, actually still have both. No games for the VB anymore, though. Some douche kid who came over from Germany with my cousin stole them out of my parents house.

Vectrex was way ahead of its time, but I'm not sure it ever would've had a "time". Stand alone units like this, and the VB, never seem to do well. The VB, I thought, was a pain in the ass to play but had some outstanding software. The Vectrex was, is, and will always be cool.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    My Virtual Boy is missing the stand. You can imagine how comfortable it is to play this for any period of time. It doesn't help that I can't find a focus setting that doesn't give me a shrieking headache.
    You can lay down flat and have the VB sit on top of your face. I tried that a few times, it works but my eyes tired even faster playing like that.

10. that was my preferred way to play. I wear glasses and it never bothered me.