Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: INSANE Best Buy HD-DVD 360 player deal

1. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Sorry, but no... try to keep up here. We all know that - that isn't the glitch.

The glitch was that, if you purchased the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on, and along with it got a free copy of Heroes, then your two extra free HD-DVDs could be any two single HD-DVD items you wanted. The rule for the "two free with any player" was that they had to be $35 or below. With the add-on and free Heroes, Best Buy's computers would allow any HD-DVDs of any price to be added for free; thus, people like me were able to get box sets prices way over $35 as our two free titles.
    Correct. I tried to get two free HD-DVDs when I bought this Sunday, but no go.

Then I went back to the store last night with the latest Retail Insider http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4070yg5.jpg in tow, and after much polite discussion with the manager, he agreed with me, returned and rebought everything, and manually overrode the pricing to get me 300 and The Departed for free. Obviously in that situation I could not try for box sets, but supposedly they ring up.

I would do this again for box sets but I can't find a local store with both the drive and Heroes in stock, except the one I went to already - twice. I would send my girlfriend but she would fuck it up somehow. If you (or anyone) jumped in and is considering selling your box sets (especially Planet Earth) let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    I dont even want to go back to that LIC store again.
    That was the store I went to. Took two tries, but I got it. They're showing they're out of Heroes now, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

2. I just got back from Best Buy and I tried the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player with 2 box sets and it just discounted the price by less than 50%. I ended up picking Transformers and 300 and I had hoped to get a rain check for Heroes since it doesn't say anything about not being able to give them out. However, they denied me saying that they couldn't. Funny thing was that I gave out a rain check to a customer for Heroes for this deal earlier in the week. So I think BB made it so it doesn't give you the option anymore because if I remember correctly, I did the same exact thing customer service was trying to do. I ended up returning everything and got my gf a Super Mario DS lunch box that came with a bunch of accessories and crap.

I could've gotten in on this deal had I been working yesterday. There's one copy of Heroes on HD left, but it's a dot-com order. I could've bought it with the deal using cash and no one would've ever known. However, this would suck for the customer. Would you do it?

3. SURREAL you just posted that at CAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

4. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    Correct. I tried to get two free HD-DVDs when I bought this Sunday, but no go.

Then I went back to the store last night with the latest Retail Insider http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4070yg5.jpg in tow, and after much polite discussion with the manager, he agreed with me, returned and rebought everything, and manually overrode the pricing to get me 300 and The Departed for free. Obviously in that situation I could not try for box sets, but supposedly they ring up.

I would do this again for box sets but I can't find a local store with both the drive and Heroes in stock, except the one I went to already - twice. I would send my girlfriend but she would fuck it up somehow. If you (or anyone) jumped in and is considering selling your box sets (especially Planet Earth) let me know.

That was the store I went to. Took two tries, but I got it. They're showing they're out of Heroes now, though.
    I had a asian manager ring me up. Name was Ken and there was some other hispanic manager also. I forgot her name. I think it was Jen or something. No go on box sets as they didnt even know about the Retail Insider and it doesnt automatically deduct the HD-DVDs. Manager even asked me where I got it from and said "we can get sued for this". So dont waste your time with box sets.

As for Heroes, since i went yesterday night, they said stop by Sunday. As I mentioned above, the stupid manager said its limited quantities even though its not a special item that its limited quantities and its not stated on flyer. I went to BB in Westbury by my job and went to customer care. They said they were out but said that I can go to any Best Buy and to just bring receipt.

As I mentioned above also, I called BB customer care and he said to try going back Saturday as well. If they still havent received, to give him a call and he'll send me a GC that will cover cost of item and tax. I'm going to try a BB in Brentwood by my girls. Hopefully I can snag one. If not, I'll try one last time in LIC. If not, I'm giving the guy a call. BTW, he also asked if they offered me a raincheck and I said no.

If you got a car, burg, let me know if you want to know if they have it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by aren View Post
    I just got back from Best Buy and I tried the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player with 2 box sets and it just discounted the price by less than 50%. I ended up picking Transformers and 300 and I had hoped to get a rain check for Heroes since it doesn't say anything about not being able to give them out. However, they denied me saying that they couldn't. Funny thing was that I gave out a rain check to a customer for Heroes for this deal earlier in the week. So I think BB made it so it doesn't give you the option anymore because if I remember correctly, I did the same exact thing customer service was trying to do. I ended up returning everything and got my gf a Super Mario DS lunch box that came with a bunch of accessories and crap.

I could've gotten in on this deal had I been working yesterday. There's one copy of Heroes on HD left, but it's a dot-com order. I could've bought it with the deal using cash and no one would've ever known. However, this would suck for the customer. Would you do it?
    No receipt for me either. Hell, the deal didnt even deduct. It was all regular price.

5. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    SURREAL you just posted that at CAG
    If something benefits everyone, I usually copy and paste it over at CAG, like what I'm going to post below this.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    No receipt for me either. Hell, the deal didnt even deduct. It was all regular price.
    Heroes must be included in the transaction in order to get the deal.

EVERYBODY READ THIS

I decided to go to the Best Buy I work out and see what I can do. After sitting around and seeing what I could do, one of my fellow employees gave me a brilliant idea.

Basically, if you want the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player with 2 free copies of any HD-DVDs of you're choosing, Heroes MUST be part of the deal. However, since Heroes was sold out, I told her to enter in the SKU and then give me a rain check. However, she believed that wouldn't work because we can't sell something we don't have. She called our manager and she said that it was fine as long as I have the receipt. So she typed in the SKU for Heroes and all 3 HD-DVDs were free (Heroes, Matrix Trilogy, and Sopranos Season 6: Volume 1). This was done about an hour or so ago. YMMV depending on the manager of the store and whatnot.

Now, the problem is having to wait for a shipment of Heroes. For those of you who aren't patient, order it off of bestbuy.com and once it arrives, take it to the store you got the rain check at and return it. Right after you return it, bust out your rain check and ask for the HD-DVD. They'll give it back to you for free.

Apparently, a Geek Squad employee did this but earlier in the week. He got Heroes from bestbuy.com, returned it, then bought it again with the 360 HD player. However, it's too late to do this because the deal does end on Sunday (I've heard it might be for two weeks, but I'm not sure).

Any questions?

6. Well, the asshole of a manager I had said it was "limited quantities". I went to a different BB and they said to just bring in the receipt. If this other BB that I am about to go to is sold out and no stores get it on Saturday, I'm just going to call the customer rep and have him send me giftcard. He himself asked if I got a raincheck. I said the never offered it to me. The store I got the HD-DVD from..the same store burg went to was being an ass. Burg was lucky not having to spend an hour or so there. I did ask one of the clerks in the department and he said that one of the managers OK'd coming back for Heroes. I didnt even bother bringing that up as he was a dick to begin with.

Would it be too late to try and get a raincheck?
    Last edited by bandit; 26 Oct 2007 at 07:28 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Would it be too late to try and get a raincheck?
    You have until tomorrow to get a rain check. They CAN'T refuse it because rain checks are given to deals only the ad as long as it doesn't say no rain check anywhere. I went to a Best Buy near me and they denied me saying the SKU doesn't show as being part of the ad. BULLSHIT, but I didn't want to deal with it (I actually gave a rain check to a customer earlier this week). Whatever BS they feed you, don't swallow it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    They wont match the offer with the 2 free HD-DVD as its not advertised. For that, might as well just order from buy.com where I dont have to pay for shipping or tax. Just my time for waiting.

They laughed at the 2 extra HD-DVDs? They were giving it to me but the deal wasnt being taken off automatically so they gave me a hard time but the manager rang me up and did the deal for the two additional HD-DVDs.
    I went today with a co-worker. All store in our area were out last night, but each got at least two units today.
    We both got the two extra dvds automatically. The system rang it as a package. We both got Planet Earth. He got the 300, I got Transformers.

9. Quote Originally Posted by aren View Post
    You have until tomorrow to get a rain check. They CAN'T refuse it because rain checks are given to deals only the ad as long as it doesn't say no rain check anywhere. I went to a Best Buy near me and they denied me saying the SKU doesn't show as being part of the ad. BULLSHIT, but I didn't want to deal with it (I actually gave a rain check to a customer earlier this week). Whatever BS they feed you, don't swallow it.
    Sold out at the other BB I just went to (Bayshore). Asked customer service and the lady said no raincheck on free items. This is before I just read your post. All stores I talked to said they should be getting more on tomorrow. So before my gf heads over to my place, shes going to go to Huntington. If they give her a hard time or dont have still, I'll try LIC where I originally got the HD-DVD. If no go there, I'll call the rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Videodrone View Post
    I went today with a co-worker. All store in our area were out last night, but each got at least two units today.
    We both got the two extra dvds automatically. The system rang it as a package. We both got Planet Earth. He got the 300, I got Transformers.
    Did they have Heroes in stock? Maybe deal does work only if Heroes is scanned at the same time. So as long I got my 2 free HD-DVDs and soon to be Heroes, I'm a happy camper.

Now to decide whether to use my 24" widescreen as temporary HD or try and find a good deal on HDTV.

10. My girlfriend was able to get Heroes on her way to me. She walked in, picked up Heroes, went to customer service, showed them my receipt told them the situation that stores were all sold out and that it was suppose to be free, rep rang up heroes, and deducted the item.

So those who havent received, BB's should have gotten them in.