Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: "New" 88mph songs

"New" 88mph songs

Somebody asked for them, and I finally found them. Here are six of a total of eighteen or so unfinished songs. These aren't mixed in any way shape or form, and theres lots of mistakes, but thats how it should be. We weren't the tightest band anyway.

The drums and bass were recorded in Baltimore about four(?) years ago. Rich and I recorded the guitars and vocals in my parents basement in Crofton about six months ago. Vodka is the featured performer on this album.

Also: You can use this recording to judge how far to shit my voice has gone in the last couple years. I hate music, I love noise.

Assholes:
    Me - vocals/guitar
    Type Ryan - drums
    88mph_Rich - guitar
    Paul Doesn't Post On TNL - Bass

Additional Assholes:
    Hubbitron - lead vocals on Help, backups on Innocence
    Dave Wolf - lead vocals on Folsom Prison, backups on Help
    Mykozo - I think he pushed the button a few times, and he sang backups on You're Dead but for some reason they're not on the mp3. Oh well. trust that they sounded cool.

Track listing:
    But for You The Song Still Stands
    Folsom Prison Blues
    Help
    Innocence
    I Saw Her Standing There
    You're Dead

Yes we did three covers. suck it. Here is the download... its mega upload, so it won't last long.
    Last edited by Josh; 22 Oct 2007 at 09:41 AM.

I'm getting cocks right now!

I'm interested to know what you think, since you don't pull any punches.

But keep in mind most of these songs were written when we were, like, 23. so don't shit on us too much...

Update: Random AIM users say: "holy shit, this is awesome"

Update: everlast88 says: "holy shit, this is awesome"

Is that you singing on Folsom Prison Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Dave Wolf - lead vocals on Folsom Prison, backups on Help
    lrn 2 read pls <3

I do the sweet backup shouting.

First impressions (four star scale within context of only these songs):

Originals:

You're Dead ** - I can't say I like You're Dead. Musically it's fine though kind of generic. Lyrically it's trite. It's wall-to-wall cliches. I'm thinking this might have been the point though. Because EVERY SINGLE LINE IS A CLICHE. It's kind of a sweet song though (sweet like "ahh, he loves her that's so sweet".

But For You... **** - I actually like this arrangement a lot. And while the song covers territory that's been covered a ton of times, I really think it's put together well. I really like that key change 3/4's through and would have liked to hear more of it. I could see this song being a favorite among fans. It's the standout track imo. But isn't "Four part harmony combined with doubt" emo? I like the "One...", "Two...", "Three...", "Four..." verse starts. See that's kind of clever; not terribly original, but still kind of clever.

Innocence *** - I actually think this is pretty maturely arranged/written song. But it loses some momentum when it becomes clear what it's really about. Not that the stalker thing isn't something worth exploring. I think it could have been darker and less whiney though. Good arrangement, but turned off by the whines. I think a rewrite of the chorus could go a long way to improving the song. "Get the knife away from me" doesn't work well for me.

Covers:

Help ***1/2 - Backing vocals here = sex

Saw Her Standing There ***1/2 - I really enjoyed the vocals on this because you went off the rails some, which worked great. And there's a great sense of fun here, which is something you guys need to maintain more of elsewhere.

Folsom Prison Blues **** - I'm going to say this was great. It had some nice aural carnage in it. The vocals took me by surprise. And while I wouldn't suggest those be the nature of the vocals of too many of your songs, I mean, c'mon... it's Johnny Cash, so yeah. Liked the growly backing vocals too.
    Last edited by Scourge; 22 Oct 2007 at 11:28 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    lrn 2 read pls <3

I do the sweet backup shouting.
    Ah, okay. Sorry didn't see that.