Page 2 of 1104 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XBLA Thread

1. Now that's a fair argument, but I didn't have any problems after a minor bit of practice. It all makes perfect sense after a few rounds, and after that Space Giraffe never stops getting better. Each new enemy changes the way you have to approach each level, and figuring out how to deal with them efficiently while maxing out the score is brain-meltingly difficult but pays off huge once you get the skills.

James

2. Yeah, not wanting to learn the audio cues is perfectly understandable.

Outside of that, though, the bonus stages are WAY too long. I think the game would be better without them.

3. I played it for a little while and it bored me. I feel the same way about the Tempest games, so take that as you will. I didn't have much trouble seeing anything after about 30 seconds of playing, so that wasn't an issue but it played like a poor man's PC shareware version of N20.

I really wanted to like it even though I wasn't much of a fan of Gridrunner++ or anything else of Minter's I've ever played, and I was hoping that maybe for once he made something I would like. Instead I ended up with the same thing that always happens with his output: Me trying way too hard to like it because I love trippy shooters but in actuality I can't stand playing it.

4. That reminds me, N20 was great.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I played it for a little while and it bored me. I feel the same way about the Tempest games, so take that as you will. I didn't have much trouble seeing anything after about 30 seconds of playing, so that wasn't an issue but it played like a poor man's PC shareware version of N20.
    How far did you get in the game? The game starts to shine after level 20 or so.

6. Just the demo, I don't recall how long that was. And no, considering Minter's track record to my taste I'm not buying the game to find out if it suddenly gets better further in. If someone else wants to buy it for me then sure, I'll give it another shot, but I already own a bunch of shooters that are far more entertaining that I don't put enough time into as is.

7. The funny thing about Space Giraffe is that there are a few levels that will drive you absolutely insane. You'll be replaying a level for a long time and when you finally get past it you'll go through a few levels that are beyond easy..sort of giving you a break from the madness. I'm still terrible but I like the game. I haven't played it in awhile but I think I'm close to level 50.

Mutant Storm Empire will be released on Halloween and it looks pretty good. I don't know anything about Exit and fuck that Battlestar game if its like that Wing Commander Arena crap.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Just the demo, I don't recall how long that was. And no, considering Minter's track record to my taste I'm not buying the game to find out if it suddenly gets better further in. If someone else wants to buy it for me then sure, I'll give it another shot, but I already own a bunch of shooters that are far more entertaining that I don't put enough time into as is.
    The demo is only 10 levels long. Hey, at least you gave it a fair shake unlike alot of people who just whined about not seeing things.

9. EDIT: Yeah, that didn't work.

I have no idea if that will work, but if it doesn't, you can see the video here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer

Mutant Storm Empire will be released on Xbox Live Arcade next Wednesday, 31st October, PomPom has told Eurogamer.

It's going to cost 800 Microsoft points, which is about GBP 6.80 / EUR 9.30 in old money, and will of course have a demo along with it.

You may remember Mutant Storm Reloaded as one of Xbox Live Arcade's better earlier shooters. Those with even longer memories may remember the original Mutant Storm's popular presence on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 1.
    Advertisement

The new one, Empire, is similar but enjoyably different. Using two-stick shooter controls, it tasks you with blasting your way through 16 levels, full of "beasties" who need to be blown away to make progress.

Its strength lies in the quality of the increasingly devious level design, which changes pace and style often enough to keep you guessing, despite maintaining a sensible difficulty curve.

You can tackle things alone in one of two ways - Adventure mode is a straightforward trek through all 16 levels, with a high score awarded for your best streaks between the loss of the six lives you get per level, and the ability to restart on any unlocked level.

Then on top of that you've got Tally mode, which tasks you with trying to set a top score for each individual level, and then builds an overall score for the entire game out of your best efforts.

There are of course leaderboards, not to mention co-operative modes offline and over Xbox Live, and 12 fairly tricky Achievements to unlock.

So, lots to look forward to. Look out for our verdict nearer release next week.
    I am pretty happy about this.

10. Mutant Storm Empire looks great, I will pick it up.