Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Nintendo Merger and Acquisition Thread

Hypothetical Nintendo Merger and Acquisition Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iwata via Nikkei via IGN
    We should abandon old assumptions about our businesses... We are considering [mergers and acquisitions] as an option.
    Link

What mergers or acquisitions would you like to see Nintendo undertake that would benefit the industry as a whole?

I'm thinking rounding up some small but talented developers that might otherwise be lost to cost cutting would be a place to start. Nintendo wouldn't have been my first choice for Bizarre Creations for example, but it would have been better than losing them entirely. Those guys could have made a rad Mario Kart.

I'm sure someone will come up with something really wild and compelling in the area of mergers. People have mentioned Disney buying Nintendo before. That one seems to make sense on the surface.

2. I could honestly see Platnium.

Platinum is exactly the reason I included the "benefit the industry as a whole" clause. That would be horrible. Platinum is in no danger of going under, and they deserve better than Nintendo hardware. They're not even a good fit to handle any of Nintendo's series, unless they are allowed to do a Vanquish-like Metroid, which seems as unlikely as it does potentially awesome.

4. I only mention it since Kamiya has tweeted in the past that he's open to such a idea.

I wonder if that would even help Nintendo. Wonderful 101 sold like absolute shit, and I doubt Bayonetta 2 is going to do a whole lot better unfortunately. There are too many douchebags who won't buy anything but Mario or Zelda games. Or fucking Pokemon. That may even be why Nintendo is so reluctant to return to some of their best series.

6. I'd love to see Apple pick up Nintendo. Entire VC library on day one.

I wouldn't like to see Disney get them, but I suspect that might be what happens. Mickey Mouse is a jealous God and won't stand for this 'Mario is more recognized' guff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I wonder how big an acquisition is possible. For example, had Bandai and Sammy not gobbled up Namco and Sega, respectively, could Nintendo afford them?

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'd love to see Apple pick up Nintendo.
    That would be incredibly interesting. Or imagine how quickly Android would destroy iOS in the gaming space if Google bought them.

9. Valve should aquire Platinum.

I could see Nintendo partnering with Disney or Apple. I was wondering yesterday if their mention about a lot of this was to indicate a possible tablet-less Wii U sold at a lower cost specifically to work with people who already own a tablet, and an accompanying app, naturally. This would go pretty well with Apple and the two companies seem fairly like-minded.

10. Not as big on Google as I used to be, so I'm not rooting for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I could see Nintendo partnering with Disney or Apple. I was wondering yesterday if their mention about a lot of this was to indicate a possible tablet-less Wii U sold at a lower cost specifically to work with people who already own a tablet, and an accompanying app, naturally. This would go pretty well with Apple and the two companies seem fairly like-minded.
    All they need is a few different controller bases to pop a tablet into and they're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!