Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis -- S-video Compatible?

1. Sega Genesis -- S-video Compatible?

Does anyone know if the Sega Genesis is compatible with S-Video? If so, have you found a place that sells the cable?

2. it doesnt put out an S-video signal by default

there is a box/adapter type thing so you can get S-video out of it

i beleive its the same as the one they use for the neo geo so you dont have to mod it

i think its called like an X-neo1 or something i could be wrong

but its expensive like n the 100 - 200 $ price range i beleive

dont know all the details on it

but if your looking for just a simple cable to plug in the back of your genesis and then go into the tv for 15 - 20 bucks then no nothing like that exists that i know of as the genesis does not put out an S-video signal

The Genesis Svideo cable is elusive like the Loch Ness monster... I've heard rumors about one, some who have claimed to have it, but I've never actually seen one myself or seen one for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

4. it actually does exist...I've posted a thread like this in the past, and the reason I know it exists is because I've personally seen the unit itself, and in use. =) And again, for anyone who still doesn't believe me, email me and I'll send you a pic of the unit itself. It DOES exist, it's just one of the most rare gaming devices I've seen around. I don't own it, but my close friend does, and he had to pay over fifty bucks to nab it off ebay. Neither of us have ever seen it listed and supposedly the guy who sold it to him had ties with Sega and we speculate it's possible it was some kind of protype even though it's got the official box and everything...

5. I banged my head against the wall for months trying to get a hold of a Genny S-video cable. In the end, it was easier to just go RGB. Yes, it is darn near impossible to find a way to get s-video out of that thing.

6. It's possible to get s-video out of a Genesis 3, but it's not possible for any other model of Genesis. The Genesis 3 uses the same video output chip as the Playstation, and this chip has outputs for s-video. Unfortunately, these outputs are not wired into the Gen3's mini-DIN plug for the video cable. For all the gory details, read this USENET thread.

7. Thanks for the help!

8. well if the Genesis 3 uses the same AV port as the Genesis 1 then it IS possible. But like it's been said, it'd be easier to RGB that shit, otherwise I'd bribe my friend into selling me his rare Genny s-video cable to use on my Genesis 1 unit.

9. Technical guru jmkurtz over at www.neo-geo.com will hook you Gennsis up with s-video.

10. ahhh...sharper and more realistically colored giant pixels....