Thread: 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1

1. 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1

I need to get speakers for the downstairs. Budget is around $400-$500. I could go with 5.1, but I'd most probably have to get an all-in-one type deal and from what I've read, those suck. Second option is to get a couple quality speakers and if I ever wanted to, add more speakers later. However, I don't think I'd upgrade anytime in the near future.

Would I be missing out if I didn't get 5.1 speakers or would 2.1 or 3.1 speakers be fine? Also, any recommendations on speakers? I also need recommendations on what receiver to get.

I would vote for not getting the 5.1 sound right now. It's better to have a high quality front stage and nothing in the rear than to have crappy surround.

Pick up a nice surround receiver, and get some speakers. You can live with just two, as most receivers will do a "phantom" center channel.

Check out www.shoponkyo.com for receivers. Sometimes they have cheap, good refurbs. They did have one that was 90 buck shipped, it's almost the same receiver I have now and it's awesome.

As far as the speakers go, that more or less depends on taste and budget. I I had a thread asking about speakers a few weeks ago, it has some good info on it. I ended up going with Athena Audition speakers, although I have only bought a center channel right now. If you have any decent stores around you go take a listen and find out what kind of sound you like. I was going to get an all Polk setup (and Polk has some good, cheap stuff) but it sounded a bit too mellow for me. On the other hand, many people consider the Athenas that I enjoy too harsh.

For $500 what I would get is a Onkyo refurb receiver, Athena Audition bookshelf speakers and center (200 bucks) and a powered subwoofer. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist, for that kinda bread you may get lucky and find a killer used system.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

7.1 imo

I got some awesome 5.1 computer speakers for about $250 from Buy.com a few years ago. Best purchase ever. (except when my roommates wake up from the base and then pound on my wall)

4. I'd go for 5.1 computer speakers. I find this Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker is great, it is $135.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121121

5. I'm guessing you want some "real" speakers and not computer speakers? I don't know much about it, but for $500 you can get a really really really really nice set of 5.1 computer speakers.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

Quote Originally Posted by GOTONext View Post
    I'd go for 5.1 computer speakers. I find this Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker is great, it is $135.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121121
    This is the model before the one I have. Best purchase ever.

7. For only $500 I'd screw any .1 altogether. Get the best 2.0 set you can. Your primary left and rights should go down to 20 Hz anyway.

5.1 or 7.1 would be a joke at that price range.

Protip: if any single one of your speakers NEED to be paired with a "subwoofer" to sound correct, then the speaker sucks. More likely than not the sub sucks as well since a sub shouldn't even go high enough to make a tiny balls-less speaker sound correct.

8. Listen to Cheebs. I watch my movies in 2.0 because I can't afford an acceptable .1 solution. you better believe my mains are fucking sweet sounding...

Its better to wait than buy crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    No one uses sigs.