Thread: 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1

1. 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1

I need to get speakers for the downstairs. Budget is around $400-$500. I could go with 5.1, but I'd most probably have to get an all-in-one type deal and from what I've read, those suck. Second option is to get a couple quality speakers and if I ever wanted to, add more speakers later. However, I don't think I'd upgrade anytime in the near future.

Would I be missing out if I didn't get 5.1 speakers or would 2.1 or 3.1 speakers be fine? Also, any recommendations on speakers? I also need recommendations on what receiver to get.

I would vote for not getting the 5.1 sound right now. It's better to have a high quality front stage and nothing in the rear than to have crappy surround.

Pick up a nice surround receiver, and get some speakers. You can live with just two, as most receivers will do a "phantom" center channel.

Check out www.shoponkyo.com for receivers. Sometimes they have cheap, good refurbs. They did have one that was 90 buck shipped, it's almost the same receiver I have now and it's awesome.

As far as the speakers go, that more or less depends on taste and budget. I I had a thread asking about speakers a few weeks ago, it has some good info on it. I ended up going with Athena Audition speakers, although I have only bought a center channel right now. If you have any decent stores around you go take a listen and find out what kind of sound you like. I was going to get an all Polk setup (and Polk has some good, cheap stuff) but it sounded a bit too mellow for me. On the other hand, many people consider the Athenas that I enjoy too harsh.

For $500 what I would get is a Onkyo refurb receiver, Athena Audition bookshelf speakers and center (200 bucks) and a powered subwoofer. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist, for that kinda bread you may get lucky and find a killer used system.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

7.1 imo

I got some awesome 5.1 computer speakers for about $250 from Buy.com a few years ago. Best purchase ever. (except when my roommates wake up from the base and then pound on my wall)

4. I'd go for 5.1 computer speakers. I find this Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker is great, it is $135.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121121

5. I'm guessing you want some "real" speakers and not computer speakers? I don't know much about it, but for $500 you can get a really really really really nice set of 5.1 computer speakers.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

Quote Originally Posted by GOTONext View Post
    I'd go for 5.1 computer speakers. I find this Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker is great, it is $135.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121121
    This is the model before the one I have. Best purchase ever.

7. For only $500 I'd screw any .1 altogether. Get the best 2.0 set you can. Your primary left and rights should go down to 20 Hz anyway.

5.1 or 7.1 would be a joke at that price range.

Protip: if any single one of your speakers NEED to be paired with a "subwoofer" to sound correct, then the speaker sucks. More likely than not the sub sucks as well since a sub shouldn't even go high enough to make a tiny balls-less speaker sound correct.

Listen to Cheebs. I watch my movies in 2.0 because I can't afford an acceptable .1 solution. you better believe my mains are fucking sweet sounding...

Its better to wait than buy crap.