Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose HDTV

1. Help Me Choose HDTV

Well, I've been meaning to finally get hdtv for quite a while now. The bulk of the fight was between plasma and lcd, with lcd seemingly winning the race for me.

I was looking at Sharp Aquas, which are awesome, but reading about all of those awesome banding problems on AVS forums, can confuse the shit out of you. Plus there are way too many other options, which doesnt help the case.

I am looking at 42-46" range, 46" prefferably, and 1080p would be nice extra (Aquas do have that). Price range up to 2.5k

DLPs are another option, but i never liked the projection tvs, and even though dlps are definitely getting better, i am still not so sure about those.

2. I'm going to bump this rather than make a new one

After seeing K3V's HDTV and been looking for one for cheap, come black friday, there will be deals on HDTVs.

I was looking at the BF flyers and this caught my eye...a 32" Sharp LCD TV LC-32SH12U
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sharp-32-LCD-HDTV-LC-32SH12U/sem/rpsm/oid/189267/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Circuit City is going to have it on sale for $599. Its 720p. Any opinions on it or suggestions?

Another would be Sony Bravia 32" 720p for $699 come BF
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

3. Generally, don't bother with 1080p on a unit that size. But if you have any need at all for a larger set, then go larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

4. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    Generally, don't bother with 1080p on a unit that size. But if you have any need at all for a larger set, then go larger.
    If you were referring to me, I know that 1080p wont be noticeable on any unit under 40" and not worth it.

5. Vizio has become a big name recently, I've heard very good things about them.

6. A lot depends on the size of your room and what you plan on using the set for. Also, each technology has it's benefits and disadvantages so it's tough to pick a set out for someone else.

I have been looking at DLPs for a while, but on the first generation sets I could see the "rainbow effect" all over the place. When I saw the 56" Samsung in Sears I knew it was the one I wanted because it was 1080p, a good size for the room I'll have it in and because I couldn't see any rainbows. When I found it on Amazon (edit: TNL Store) for a few hundred dollars less with free shipping and no tax, I knew that was it.
    Last edited by K3V; 09 Nov 2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

7. When you found it on the TNL Store, you mean. Thanks again.

8. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1181831586462

This 42" Westinghouse LCD was selling for $999 a couple of weeks ago.
    Last edited by gamevet; 09 Nov 2007 at 02:06 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When you found it on the TNL Store, you mean. Thanks again.
    Correct. Looked on Amazon then promptly purchased via TNL Store. As any real man would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Vizio has become a big name recently, I've heard very good things about them.
    I heard the same thing as well

Nothing bigger than 37". Anything bigger than that, is like a movie theater in my room (exaggerated). My room is fairly big but with a queen size futon laid flat I dont have much. So the walk area is slightly small than a twin size bed (width)

I'll be using this for gaming and TV/movies. trying not to spend more than $700-800. I currently have a 27" JVC standard analog TV.

Here is another
    Sharp AQUOS LC-32D43U ($704)
    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SHLC32D43U
    Last edited by bandit; 09 Nov 2007 at 02:34 PM.