Thread: WTF Connecting to My Wireless Network

1. WTF Connecting to My Wireless Network

So I just picked up a shitty Acer laptop for girlfriend. I got it connected to my wireless LAN with no problems. Then I accidentally hit the button above the keyboard that disabled the WLAN card. After turning it back on, it refused to connect to my LAN any more. It connects to my stupid neighbor's unsecured network just fine, but whenever I try to connect to mine it keeps telling me that the user is canceling the action. I am not canceling shit. The only thing I could think of is that somehow it forgot my encryption key but I have entered that fucker 47 times (just to make sure I got it right) and that is not the problem.

I have never used Vista before so I am kind of lost here. I am drunk and getting very, very frustrated. Please help me before I break this fucking piece of shit computer. What the hell am I doing wrong?

2. This might sound very dumb and trite, but have you tried disabling the card through control panel, re-enabling it and then trying to connect?

3. I just tried it, and that didn't do anything. I don't think it's the network adaptor; it connects to my neighbor's unsecured WLAN fine.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers View Post
    What the hell am I doing wrong?
    Honestly, buying Acer.

I'm not even trying to be funny or witty right now. Acer just really sucks.

5. When I run the Windows Networks Diagnostic it says "The connection to 'MY NETWORK' was canceled. This might be due to timeout or user action."

I am not canceling anything and there is no reason it should be timing out. Like I said, it is connecting to unsecured networks with no problems.

Yes I know Acer is terrible. But this shit was working fine a few hours ago before I accidentally disabled the WLAN adaptor.

6. So after fucking with every setting over and over again and rebooting (for maybe the twelfth time?) it decided to randomly connect to my wireless network.

If this shit happens again some poor Indian is going to catch hell after I sit on hold for three hourse. I have no idea what I did or why it should randomly start working again.

7. This has nothing to do with Acer. This was happening to me with my Lenovo.

The problem is probably your modem or router. Standard procedure is to reset both and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. Tip: Manually delete the Wireless connection to your router via advanced settings for your wireless adapter and try reconnecting back. This usually does the trick when disabling/re enabling the nic doesn't work.