Page 1 of 29 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The PS2

1. The PS2

When do we start considering the PS2 a "classic" system? By classic I mean when we are asked about it, the large majority of us harken back with a smile and a fond memory?

I mean we have, IMO, 4 classic systems in history;

Atari 2600
    NES
    Sega Genesis
    Playstation

And for the first time, I think it's sony who'll be on the list twice. Anyway your thoughts on this subject pls <3 Biff Sr.

Edit: Somebody please take the S of questions, damnit.
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 03 Nov 2007 at 03:47 AM.

2. Its a classic system when playing most/all the games in your ps2 library evoke nostalgia, if not for the game itself then for that time in your game-playing "career".

Or, when the current-gen systems are on the $99-$150 chopping block, and you need to go to a pawn shop or whatnot to find a ps2.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

3. makes sense.

4. Maybe sometime after it's no longer being manufactured and marketed and no longer Sony's best selling console.

5. I'm of the "one generation buffer" rule for what's retro. Like N64 and PSX didn't become classic/retro until we all started playing 360 or PS3. So next gen, PS2 is eligible. Until then, it's just "last gen".

Also, SNES, SMS, and Saturn are absolutely classic libraries. A lot more, too, but those seem indisputable. Dreamcast if you consider it old enough (I think it's got a couple more years)
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 03 Nov 2007 at 03:58 AM.

6. Dreamcast

I don't know if the Genesis or PSX count as "classic". When I think "classic" I think of systems that spawn Hot Topic t-shirts...

But taking your definition, I think it won't be until the NEXT gen of systems come out before we start thinking of PS2 as "classic". And maybe we won't ever think of the PS2 as classic....part of the definition of "classic" is that it not be mainstream (part of why I doubt whether the PSX is "classic"). I think the Xbox will eventually be considered classic (at least in USA), but the PS2? Why? Disgaea? FFX-X2? I just don't know what came out on PS2 that was uber-awesome (MGS2?).
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

7. If you go to EB games, and look at the Xbox rack and the PS2 rack, you tell me which one has more games that you say "man, that was/is/looks good?"

8. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach View Post
    I don't know if the Genesis or PSX count as "classic". When I think "classic" I think of systems that spawn Hot Topic t-shirts...
    So basically, NES is the only classic system, then.

9. Perhaps he doesn't see what I'm getting at. I'm talking about 99&#37; of game playing society saying "Good system"

I mean, tons of people love the Saturn, myself included, but it isn't a classic because outside of TNL most people have never owned it.

10. Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by Biff-chan View Post
    If you go to EB games, and look at the Xbox rack and the PS2 rack, you tell me which one has more games that you say "man, that was/is/looks good?"
    Yeah, and I'm wondering what was on PS2 that made me say, "OMGJawsome!" Legit question.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion