Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monitor with no speakers (Xbox 360)

1. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    Unfortunately you are correct. http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/31/hd...er-what-to-do/

Bad, bad job by Microsoft here. Maybe call customer service and bitch someone out and they can comp/sell you one. They are really few and far between on eBay.

You could also get a HDMI-to-DVI cable that splits off the audio, but that sounds like a boatload of trouble especially with all the HDCP handshake bullshit.

I don't think it's worth the trouble on a 24" screen if you can just run component.

---

Looks like you have a couple of options according to the comments attached to that Joystiq article:

1. Stuff your component AV cable into the 360 AV-out. You might have to hack off some plastic to get it to fit but you may be able to get HDMI video and stereo audio out at the same time. (There are conflicting opinions on this - but all you'd be risking is an easily replaceable pack-in cable that you don't even intend to use.)

2. Buy an official 360 HDMI cable, the adapter should be packed in.

3. Buy a VGA cable and connect through VGA. A VGA A-B switch should be like 5-10 bucks if you want both your 360 and PC hooked up to the same input.
    Ya, I have a VGA Box that I reviewed (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-xc...box-74868.html) but I no longer have an extra VGA cable and I dont want to purchase since I went and bought these HDMI cables. Although I got them real cheap...if I bought them already, might as well put them to use rather than have them sit here or hold them until I actually get a real HDTV.

If someone has a spare VGA cable, feel free to contact me. If not, I'll see if I can get that Xbox360 audio adapter for cheap. And to think I was ready to watch and play in HD.

2. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    I think you absolutely need that cable (along with the adapters everyone else has pointed out). If your 360 has HDMI-out then I think it must have come with your unit.

Can anyone recommend a cheap card with DVI-out? I'm thinking of upgrading too, but my PC is like 4 years old. I don't need anything flashy.
    agp? if so the nvidia 6800/7600 series or ati the 1600/1900 series. both should be no more than $120.

i think i have an extra vga cable.

3. Even at 1600 x 1200 using a VGA connection was pretty much unbearable for me. You really don't notice any difference between VGA and DVI for your computer? At 1920 x 1200 over VGA I'd probably be bleeding my eyes out trying to surf the web for more than half an hour at a time.

4. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    Even at 1600 x 1200 using a VGA connection was pretty much unbearable for me. You really don't notice any difference between VGA and DVI for your computer? At 1920 x 1200 over VGA I'd probably be bleeding my eyes out trying to surf the web for more than half an hour at a time.
    Honestly, the VGA and DVI at 1920x1200 looks the same to me. Text size and everything is the same. I dont have a keen eye for things like this. so as long I can see and play..thats all it matters. I do my graphic work on my PC as well.

5. Maybe my VGA out just wasn't so hot, but text was pretty damn blurry for me and the colors were way off.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Ya, I have a VGA Box that I reviewed (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-xc...box-74868.html) but I no longer have an extra VGA cable and I dont want to purchase since I went and bought these HDMI cables. Although I got them real cheap...if I bought them already, might as well put them to use rather than have them sit here or hold them until I actually get a real HDTV.

If someone has a spare VGA cable, feel free to contact me. If not, I'll see if I can get that Xbox360 audio adapter for cheap. And to think I was ready to watch and play in HD.
    I really think you should just go to town on the component AV cable for audio out. If you don't want to spoil the one you have, you can probably get another for <$5. It doesn't have to be the component cable either - if Gamestop or someone has a cheap used composite cable that could work too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    Maybe my VGA out just wasn't so hot, but text was pretty damn blurry for me and the colors were way off.
    it all depends on your gpu as well. ATI usually has much better IQ than Nvidia.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    Maybe my VGA out just wasn't so hot, but text was pretty damn blurry for me and the colors were way off.
    Not for me. The only color that was way off was the orange similar to that in my sig but the banner on top of my site. It has a bright orange but in photoshop, its a darker. But when placed on site, its normal. It could be a photoshop setting but this also happened to DVI

The only difference I notice on my computer was text was slightly crisper with DVI but you only notice if you have your face like 2 inches from the monitor.