Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross-stitch

1. Well, this thread has been very informative. I crochet, and hand sew occasionally. Interesting stuff. How similar is this cross stitch stuff to embroidery?

More importantly, can you make Megaman? I would think 16 bit art style might be easier to make than say a perfect circle.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

2. Cross stitch has a pattern laid out on a grid on a separate paper, unless you freehand the design yourself, instead of having the pattern already printed on the fabric. I haven't actually done embroidery yet but I would say it's only similarities to cross-stitching are when you do the details on cross-stitch, or the finishing touches. You use a lot of backstitch, stem stitch, french knots etc to do the tiny details/outlines on the pictures. These detail stitches are what gives the pictures dimensions and makes circles look more circle-y, instead of some retarded 8-bit nightmare you've tried to create in minecraft or something XD

You can make just about anything you like. I'm about halfway done with my second halloween picture that has a huge moon in it so you can see what the circles can look like when I post it. I will try my hand at embroidery soon though, make some pillow cases that caught my eye a while ago, but reading around it seemed like embroidery is closer to needlepoint than cross-stitching.

3. So, coloring books for women, except they're 28.

4. It tells me all the best points to stab you, for the most aesthetically pleasing end result ;D

5. Really Delayed Update

Here's that halloween picture I was working on that displayed circles well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	403516621.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	66509

And other finishes I've accumulated since:

Name:	403497640.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	66510

Name:	403497639.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	66511

Name:	403213817.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	66512

Name:	403213816.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	66513

Work In Progress

Name:	403213815.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	66514

Name:	403213814.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	66515

6. Oooh, you've done a bunch. I like the first and last the best. Those owls are cute.

7. Thanks. The owls actually have a border I haven't done yet because this was originally a birth record kit, and I swapped the colors around in it on many things since the kit had soooo much extra floss. I then decided to make the border in a dark purple which I still need to order because I keep forgetting. I was also going to change where you put the birth record name/dates into an anniversary record for my b/f and I instead, but pretty doubtful on that one right now.

I also found a nice sewing forum http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-bin/BBS/bbs_forum.cgi mainly for cross-stitch but they also discuss a plethora of crafts; quilting, ornament making, knitting/crochet, and some other stuff I can't think of right now.

Sorry, I can't recall how to insert links without displaying the whole address, also sorry for reposting the pumpkins, for some reason this thread did not fully load all posts when I first opened it so I couldn't remember what I had already posted. In any case, that was a new pic of them taken with a camera phone that did happen to come out looking much less grainy.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kyosalad View Post
    AMERICA FUCK-YEAH!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. ;p I actually picked it because it just looked fucking majestic. Thought it would have been a nice man-cave addition.

10. It looked like it took forever and a lot of different thread.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt