Thread: Microsoft Office Help

1. PC Microsoft Office Help

Didn't see a thread on this in search, so starting one now.

EXCEL: Functions - I need a function to find the most common entry in a column, like MODE() but for text.

Example:

APPLES
    BANANAS
    BANANAS
    ORANGE
    APPLES
    BANANAS

= BANANAS

Go!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. This isn't advice, but I hate Excel. It's an annoying spreadsheet program. You're also better off googling a how-to guide.

3. Doesnt it bring up the word so as long its in the same column?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    This isn't advice, but I hate Excel. It's an annoying spreadsheet program.
    Why? Does Mozilla make a spreadsheet app?

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Doesnt it bring up the word so as long its in the same column?
    I have a thousand rows, need to find the most common value and MODE() doesn't work on cells with text, numbers only.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    You're also better off googling a how-to guide.
    But I like TNL. We have need to know threads on other caca, why not start one on this? If we get a lot of requests, I'll organize the first post with all the tricks by program/category.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 15 Nov 2007 at 01:51 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Not saying it isn't a good idea so that others can familiarize themselves with the program in case the need ever pops up, but if you want a faster answer Google is the winner.

I had to use this back in high school and forgot all the tricks to it. I can't even get two cells to add up.

6. Have you tried using Pivot Tables Doc?

If you know all of the values in the column, a COUNTIF would work. For example...

=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$100,"BANANAS") would return 3, while the others would only return 1. You can also dynamically link the last argument instead of hard coding it.