Thread: Dvd ripping?

1. Dvd ripping?

So have some dvds for a university my that my job works with. I need to put up parts of these on youtube. (Why? You say? Don't ask, I don't even know. Work loves giving the most retarded stuff to do ever). I thought I would just be working with normal video files but these are dvd vob files.

I've tried a couple of things, such as renaming the vob to mpg (worked but no sound). I tried a dvd to mpg converter also but it also had no sound.

So if anyone know some good free software and or has a clue of how to go about this I could really use the help. (if this stuff isn't allowed to be post I understand but, please (pretty please?) still let them pm me about this). Also file type it ends up being doesn't matter to much, at this point anything I can edit would be great.

I need this for work asap (because they think I'm a F^*&ing magician). Sorry to ask this here but I don't even have a clue where to look up more info. (Yes, I tried googling it also, that didn't really help in my cluelessness).

Also thanks to anyone who could possibly help me with this.

2. Videora Xbox 360 converter, PS3 Video 9, or Videora iPod converter would all convert the VOB into a file that Youtube itself could then convert to work on the site.

3. I was just helping someone with this for her college class, she left, and here's the thread. Eerie.

I used DVD Shrink and then just manually changed ".VOB" to ".mpeg." It seemed to work but she'll let me know for sure tomorrow, since my PC here is acting up.

4. Thanks guys I'll take a look into it. I appreciate it a lot.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was just helping someone with this for her college class, she left, and here's the thread. Eerie.

I used DVD Shrink and then just manually changed ".VOB" to ".mpeg." It seemed to work but she'll let me know for sure tomorrow, since my PC here is acting up.
    Hmm, I'll have to look into that myself, but I know using DVD Decrypter and changing the VOB to mpg doesn't work. If you play it in WMP there will be sound, but putting it into any video editing or DVD authoring software, the file lacks sound.

6. I've converted the file but I have now run into the problem that I can't edit the mp4 files. I just want to clip them to make them shorter, I tried Premier and VirtualDubMod but both won't open these files.

Why can't this stuff ever be easy?

[Edit]
    Ok I converted it to an avi and edited it. >_< Just wish this stuff was less of a pain, somehow work thinks it should like take 3 seconds to do stuff like this.

Thank again though.
    Last edited by Brand; 15 Nov 2007 at 09:30 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    I've converted the file but I have now run into the problem that I can't edit the mp4 files. I just want to clip them to make them shorter, I tried Premier and VirtualDubMod but both won't open these files.

Why can't this stuff ever be easy?
    Convert to H.264. Thats why I convert them to edit them in premiere pro cs3.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was just helping someone with this for her college class, she left, and here's the thread. Eerie.

After using dvd shrink to backup the dvd to ".vob", use video converter to convert the ". vob" files.

9. Thumbs Up dvd

tanbee dvd ripper

Kill yourself.