Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iTunes and audio books

1. iTunes and audio books

I rip an audio book CD and try to drag it into the audiobook section of iTunes and nothing happens. It doesn't show up, no errors nada. The file shows up and plays normally if I drag it into the music section, however.

Tell me what you need to know to tell me how/if I'm fucking up.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Audiobooks are AAC files with the .m4b extension.

The best way to get an .mp3 into the audiobook section is to right click on it in your iTunes Music library, convert it to AAC, go to your file explorer and change the extension from .m4a to .m4b, and then import it back into iTunes. It should automatically go into the Audiobook section. You're doing some lossy re-encoding, but it's an audiobook, who cares.

Tommy Tallarico

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

how do I get itunes to stop trying to put all the music on my computer into the damn playlist when I start up itunes?

are you seriously asking if there's a way to get itunes to not display the contents of your music library every time you open itunes?

You can sort your library in a billion different ways but I'm pretty sure every time you open it it will display all of it.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

no, I want it to stop sticking every mp3 I have on my computer into my music library. I have a 4 gig ipod. all 80 gigs of music are not going on that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    no, I want it to stop sticking every mp3 I have on my computer into my music library. I have a 4 gig ipod. all 80 gigs of music are not going on that.
    So make a custom playlist in iTunes for your iPod and only put up to 4 gigs of music in there, and sync only that playlist to your iPod.

You're not an old woman, you should know this shit. Did you really think the millions of people with 4 gb iPods were just manually selecting what to put in iTunes all the time instead of just putting it all in there?

Tommy Tallarico
    Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; 24 Nov 2007 at 01:45 PM.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

Your main itunes window =/= playlist. thats just your entire library. you want all the music on your computer in your library. Set it to copy and organize your music for you so you dont have to use explorer (LOL) to do this. Thats what iTunes is for.

Ctrl-N (or apple-N if you're not a mouth breathing windows user) will create a new playlist for you.

you're all gay and I hope you all die

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tallarico View Post
    Audiobooks are AAC files with the .m4b extension.

The best way to get an .mp3 into the audiobook section is to right click on it in your iTunes Music library, convert it to AAC, go to your file explorer and change the extension from .m4a to .m4b, and then import it back into iTunes. It should automatically go into the Audiobook section. You're doing some lossy re-encoding, but it's an audiobook, who cares.

Tommy Tallarico
    Works. Thx2u.

BTW, why is this the case? I mean, audiobook, music, it's all noise. Why the different format for books? I assume it's because there's just one voice going on, as opposed to multiple layers of stereo sound?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 24 Nov 2007 at 10:04 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. No it's the exact same file as the .m4a AAC files Apple likes. I guess Apple just likes to differentiate with a different extension. It probably adds to the iTunes feng shui or some hippy shit they're dreaming up in Cupertino.

Tommy Tallarico