Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless router recommendation

1. Wireless router recommendation

I've been using a linksys Wireless G router (WITH SPEED BOOSTER WHOA) for around a year and it's on the way out. It will just stop working randomly.

Looking around, it seems like there are a ton of shitty wireless routers out there, and they seem to only last a year. This one has worked very well for me, speeds have been great and the signal strength goes down 2 floors into the basement to my 360. Should I just get another one or do any of you have a good recommendation? I really don't need a N or A router, G suits my needs perfectly. My computer is hard wired to it, and I have my 360 and another computer connected to it wirelessly (both using linksys adapters).

2. I have a Belkin wireless G (802.11g) router, #F5D7230-4 that I've used for 3+ years without any problems at all. Tech support was great when I set it up too.

I don't know about going down 2 floors as I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate so it doesn't need to travel very far.

3. I fucking despise Linksys routers...I've never worked with one that functioned reliably.

I have the D-Link N router and it's been flawless since setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

4. I've always had Linksys and have never once had a problem with both wired and wireless signals. Using the wrt54g right now. Always remember to update firmware people. I've bought routers before with over a year old firmware on them.

5. Stay away from Netgear. Mine doesn't even give out a G signal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I've always had Linksys and have never once had a problem with both wired and wireless signals. Using the wrt54g right now. Always remember to update firmware people. I've bought routers before with over a year old firmware on them.
    If I upgrade the firmware on that router, will I lose the MAC addresses and other settings? Those are a bitch to write down and re-enter.

7. If you upgrade the firmware? Yes

If you Update the firmware? No

8. http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300

Is what I have and it's excellent.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. I had a wired Linksys that lasted me 3 years, and my current wireless one I've been using since 2003. Both of those were on 24/7, obviously. Guess I've just gotten lucky twice.
    Last edited by Schlep; 26 Nov 2007 at 11:26 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I upgrade the firmware on that router, will I lose the MAC addresses and other settings? Those are a bitch to write down and re-enter.
    If your routers worth a damn there should be an option to save all your settings in a file, then reupload that file to it after you upgrade.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.