Page 1328 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 131413241326132713281329133013321342 ... LastLast
Results 13,271 to 13,280 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I usually don't enjoy stuff like "JCVD" the film or The Expendables because they ask me to laugh with these guys instead of at them. JCVJ wants to be laughed with too, but it has some good jokes.
    The Tom Sawyer hat killed me.

Nice to see Claire Huxtable getting back out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I liked JCVD and JCVJ's trailer.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    The Tom Sawyer hat killed me.!
    That whole scene was 30 Rock tier. This is not praise I use lightly.

I was called to go with a friend to see FF15 Kingsglaive last night. I didn't even know this movie existed until that moment. Going in without any kind of preemptive exposure or reaction to it was probably for the best. The main thing I look to have provided in an action oriented movie, or at least scenes of such, is that I can at least visually process everything and not get lost in jarring off angle cuts and streaky blurs, and I thought this movie excelled at that much throughout. The general plot and storyline was serviceable. Most of the spoken dialogue, however, was just alien. So many lines were delivered as if people were deliberately trying to emphasize the wrong syllables in the words, and it didn't help that I found the coordination between those words and the physical expressions to be disjointed and lacking. I can only assume that after a certain amount of work, they just rolled with what they felt was the best they had done by that point and moved on, because I don't think the actors and directors involved would have really felt that the end result was truly how they envisioned it. I hope not, at least.

Would I recommend seeing it? Not really, or at least, if you're in the mood to see the CG spectacle, skip to the start of the treaty signing scene and go from there.

---

Just for fun, I did a quick search to see if any professional reviews came up, and here's the first two which Google provided in the side bar.

First, here's NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/mo...illy-hats.html . Apparently, this 251 word article fulfilled the writer's obligation for the duty of being a NY Times film critic. Haha, it was funny because she thought they said the word "Nippleheim" in the movie. Haha, it's funny because in the footer information, she mentioned "bowling-ball buttocks" in the context of items which could be subject to parental guidance. Haha. (By the way, the paragraph I wrote earlier in this post clocks in at 237 words. How much do you pay, NYT?)

Second, here's Variety. http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews...ie-1201839391/ . Isn't it odd how this article is still written under the premise that video game story material is just so inherently awful? Of course, most of it is, to be certain. Yet he spares no chance to remind you that this movie is related to a video game franchise, and ascribe negative connotations to the movie just because of that aspect of it. Typically, I would feel like addressing this in the article's comment section would be the appropriate thing to do (if I were really inclined to do it), but then I read the comments which are already there. If I had to use the word "embarrassing" to describe anything mentioned in this post, it would probably be these comments. Again, the basis for the topic of discussion is this movie; it's not like it was intended to be particularly cerebral or provocative. It's not like a film critic is disallowed from disliking the movie for any reason. I just find this review and related response to be a rather depressing reflection of what constitutes criticism and dialogue today.

5. Seasons 1 & 2 of Broadchurch - highly recommend it.

Last night I watched the episode of TNG where Picard's old girlfriend shows up on the Enterprise then Q transports them to magical Sherwood Forest with the captain as Robin Hood.

This episode is fucking ridiculous. It might be my favorite of the series.

7. I have the flu and have been binge watching The 100. It is the worst show on television I'm sure of it. I hate everyone on the show. They make the WORST decisions at all time, and characters seemingly switch personalities on the fly going from altruistic voice of reason to sociopath interrogation murderer. It's so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Yep, when pacifistic dude went Rambo on the camp I peaced out.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have the flu and have been binge watching The 100. It is the worst show on television I'm sure of it. I hate everyone on the show. They make the WORST decisions at all time, and characters seemingly switch personalities on the fly going from altruistic voice of reason to sociopath interrogation murderer. It's so bad.
    I didn't make it through episode 2 of that. Teen angst. Ugh.

10. They do a few things right. The setting and casting are pretty great. The development of villains is good and they generally don't draw out story arch conclusions which keeps things moving. They're also pretty ruthless with main character deaths which does keep things compelling.

But oh my god the inconsistent character development is baaad. Routinely they take turns scolding each other about morals only to betray them episodes later. So all characters are basically swappable if they don't have a strong job title. The teen drama is the worst (though because this is a CW show I've learned I would say they are delivering on expectations). They've also used the evil outsider story in several times in every season so far.

Overall the show's cheesy melodrama is crap. I'm loving to hate it I'm semi-disappointed in myself to say. Its been a great time passer as I'm sick on the couch. As b-level sci-fi it's aight.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 29 Aug 2016 at 08:36 PM.