Page 1433 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 141914291431143214331434143514371447 ... LastLast
Results 14,321 to 14,330 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Watch straight through till the episode where they bury themselves. If you're not on board then, you never will be.
    man, jinx, I round about talked about that episode too with her.

The thing is, I don't really think the show is super duper great. Or even that funny.

I like it because it is smart enough and novel. I don't know how episodes will end. And that is a rare gift these days where most endings can be seen coming 5 minutes into any given show.

I don't even know if I laughed much at the pickle rep episode. I feel like I got all the way to the end and didn't laugh until the after credits joke.

2. Yeah, see i totally get that reasoning. it's not what I'm gonna choose for a mind vacation, but it's totally fine if other people do it. I just had it sold to me as one of my fav TV Tropes - dudes gaslighting each other basically - and i did not get that outcome, lol.

As I get older I find it harder and harder to blitz out to cartoons, even anime. I still enjoy the artistry and thought that goes into it, but it's weird...like a piece of my brain shut off. I think I pushed my brain so hard to ultra-nitpick and dissect psychologically engrossing anime as much as possible that it sort of backfired in adulthood and I'm unable to enjoy simplicity in animation. However, I stopped watching BoJack bc it was just too depressing. So who the fuck knows at this point, maybe I've watched too many true crime documentaries to ever enjoy anything again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Well, a lot of modern anime is horrible. Or derivative. It has to make money, so it panders the same shit over and over again. The economic boom of the 80s where they had the money to do whatever they wanted ended in like 91-93.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Decade_(Japan)

Also, in my opinion, Japanese animators look more inward now. This probably relates to the economic decline of the 90s too. When people had ass loads of money, I think there was a mystery and love for the US, UK, western stuff. With the decline, there is frustration with capitalism and the west. Some see modern capitalism as something forced upon japan after WW2. Others might blame the west for not buying tons of their shit anymore.

Really, it was their own finance and banking system's fault. But like American conservatives, I bet some have trouble blaming their own country.

4. ah yes, similar reason to why i stopped buying vidya. It's just not as unique as it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Drop the speed to 0.5 in settings and watch him do the tongue twisters. It's MARVELLOUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    ah yes, similar reason to why i stopped buying vidya. It's just not as unique as it used to be.
    It's an interesting point. Some games still have the power to surprise IMO. Horizon Zero Dawn and BOTW did that for me recently. But yes more often than not I know what I'm getting into. Even with a good game like Nioh.

Never got into anime.

7. I signed up for filmstruck. Kinda disappointed at the offerings! I thought the whole criterion library would be available, not just a small fraction of it. May end up cancelling before the trial ends.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Drop the speed to 0.5 in settings and watch him do the tongue twisters. It's MARVELLOUS.
    NICE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. A lot of the old stuff isn't there because of licensing issues--Criterion doesn't have the rights to Criterion's entire library.

The new stuff isn't there because Criterion wants to you to buy it.

What you're left with are the movies you can rent for a few bucks on iTunes or Amazon or whatever, anyway. My microwave can stream Eating Raoul and Ran. I don't need Filmstruck for that.

It's a cool service, but it doesn't have the mainstream appeal everything else has and it doesn't have the really weird stuff something like Fandor has. I cancelled mine, too.

10. Just caught the premiere episode of The Orville. Seth McFarlane's Star Trek spoof.

It was shockingly ok. Penis jokes were kept to a minimum and there was not a single gag that lasted longer than an off the cuff line. I have hope.