Page 877 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 863873875876877878879881891 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,770 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. I honestly didn't take it that way. I took it as, "Some people feel good about themselves because they are less racist than their neighbors. Look how far we haven't come."

Its also a bit of a period piece. What exactly did you want the young white writer to do? She was blazing the trail by just going to college in the south at that time. Did you want her to incite riots and overturn buses? White women were oppressed in their own ways. Did you not pick up on NONE of them having jobs?

Write Tarantino, maybe he'll rewrite history for you. Where black and white female southerners go on a rampage and burn Jackson down. He'll also insert some long colorful conversations and some girls with nice asses.

3. What the fuck ar

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Also, the most egregious example of the mistreatment of the maids that The Help bothers to tell us is that they were made to use their own bathrooms, wrongfully fired, and not given advances. Come on. Get your hands dirty, movie.

For a movie (supposedly) about courage, it certainly doesn't have much.
    So, you're upset that the movie didn't show white and black men raping them? Black husbands taking their money away the second they got home? Police ignoring most of their claims of abuse and only acknowledging them when it helped them out?

You wanted to see some good old fashion beatings, hangings, and rapings?
    Last edited by Fe 26; 08 May 2012 at 03:24 PM.

5. Tapatalk prematurely ejaculated. I'm leaving it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    What the fuck ar
    I don't even know how you could come away from the movie with the thoughts you had. You ascribe everything to the white writer and ignored almost everything about the black characters. You marginalize them as just dupes or patsies. She isn't even the main character. The first black maid is. They end the movie with her and how all this stuff that has happened has made her stronger and how she will move on and become a writer.

7. The Help is the first piece of fiction to ever portray white people being nice to black people in Mississippi. That's why Ironplant is defending it so much.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    So, you're upset that the movie didn't show white and black men raping them? Black husbands taking their money away the second they got home? Police ignoring most of their claims of abuse and only acknowledging them when it helped them out?

You wanted to see some good old fashion beatings, hangings, and rapings?
    It would have been more poignant for alluding to harsher examples of abuse. And if Stone got her comeuppance instead of being portrayed as a heroine. The film wants us to think she should be commended. She should not.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 08 May 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Why exactly should she not be commended? She tried to do something. She tried when most people were not trying.

Can you give me a realistic alternative of what she should have done?

What would it have taken to make her a heroic character in your eyes?

10. There was a lot of drinking and baking.