Page 878 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 864874876877878879880882892 ... LastLast
Results 8,771 to 8,780 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. I love Magical Negro movies.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    You ascribe everything to the white writer and ignored almost everything about the black characters. You marginalize them as just dupes or patsies. She isn't even the main character.
    That's not me. That's the film. Skeeter isn't the main character? Her throwaway date scene was likely longer than the Medgar Evers assassination and the violent arrest of Yule May (the only instance of Shit Getting Real) combined. The movie treats black people and their plight as props. We are expected to feel good about this.

And yeah, the Magical Negro and other lazy stereotypes are everywhere here. "I loves me some fraaahd chicken," is a hand-to-god line spoken by Octavia Spencer's character. She so sassy!

This movie is deplorable.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 09 May 2012 at 02:48 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    That's not me. That's the film. Skeeter isn't the main character? Her throwaway date scene was likely longer than the Medgar Evers assassination and the violent arrest of Yule May (the only instance of Shit Getting Real) combined. The movie and its heroine treat black people as props. We are expected to feel good about this.

And yeah, the Magical Negro and other lazy stereotypes are everywhere here. "I loves me some fraaahd chicken," is a hand-to-god line spoken by Octavia Spencer's character. She so sassy!

This movie is deplorable.
    Dude, you totally missed the point of the movie. It was a message to White people on how to exploit Black people while still looking like you did a good thing for them. White people profit and Black people applaud. It was genius. Why do you think it got nominated for Best Picture? Black people don't make those decisions.

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I love Magical Negro movies.
    Sex and the City is the most blatant one. Jennifer Hudson shows up as soon as Carrie is in a world of shit (when the movie is most hilarious, IOW) and leaves as soon as she starts to feel better.

5. Candyman was good.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

I'm going to stop commenting. Nash and ARBM are trolling the shit out of me

7. All this magical negro talk makes me want to see Hudsucker Proxy again.

8. Its pretty easy to understand how The Help is ironic. A white girl used stories of black women being used by white women to make her fortune. She used the black women as much as the atrocious women she was writing about to gain success.

If she had cut them in for a proper share of the royalties it would be fine. But she didnt. The end.

9. Didn't she send them money? I remember she did.

Like, $40 or something.