Page 1559 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 154515551557155815591560156115631573 ... LastLast
Results 15,581 to 15,590 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

I understand that it portrays the main character in a negative light and doesn't glorify it to be something you would want. I totally get that it's a riff on that kind of person. Just saying it's one-sided and easier for us to relate to and undrstand the MC than it would be for Sats, who more than likely has had a much different human experience when it comes to this kind of shit from the other side.

Where's the movie about 100 male AIs constantly pandering to you online and then getting pouty when you don't want to touch their dicks?

2. I think it gets a little hairy when you portray such a hot robot in ex machina and also condemn it. It’s like the classical art trope of Vanity, where a nude woman is portrayed with a mirror. It’s simultaneously calling the woman vain, but giving the viewer the pleasure of gazing at her.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I understand that it portrays the main character in a negative light and doesn't glorify it to be something you would want. I totally get that it's a riff on that kind of person. Just saying it's one-sided and easier for us to relate to and undrstand the MC than it would be for Sats, who more than likely has had a much different human experience when it comes to this kind of shit from the other side.

Where's the movie about 100 male AIs constantly pandering to you online and then getting pouty when you don't want to touch their dicks?
    Damn, Mzo hitting it outta the park here. Yeah, everything you said man. I’m so over the narrative, whether it’s zack braff or joe the android lover or whatever. I don’t relate to the main characters at all. I think they are whiny and bad and if I was an omnipresent robot I’d like....not even be in their house idk. Just over the whole trope. It’s not thought provoking and it’s boring to me.

There’s been a few snippets of tv shows that tackle it in the opposite direction - the lesbian character in Mr. Robot having a lonely dialogue with Siri, and there was a female character who was in love with her Synth in Humans. But they were bit plot lines, and explained as such so it wasn’t a big social commentary or anything. I’d love to see the narrative in reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

I'd like to see more movies about men or women dating god like robots but it taken to its logical conclusion. How would a machine deal with the frailty and stupidity of its lover?

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Yeah, but, can you see why a movie like Garden State, which only has a woman in it to help actualize the dopey male, portrays the trope you're talking about, and endorses it. It thinks, "isn't this cute?"

Her and Ex Machina portray what you're talking about too, but they do so to say "this is a problem." They're not endorsements of manic pixie dream girl like Garden State is; they are critiques of manic pixie dream girl. That's what Ex Machina's entire third act is the way it is. That's why the male gaze guys you've identified are unlikeable and punished. It's not endorsing the male gaze; it's subverting it.

If the main character and the robot in Ex Machina live happily ever after, then you have a point, but that they do not is what makes it a critique of exactly those tropes. These movies agree with you. They are taking a position on these things. They are on your side.

My point about Roots is that if you stop at what the movie portrays and don't investigate how the movie values what it's portraying, then Roots is racist, The Bloody Chamber is just reiterating fairy tale gender roles, Ex Machina is sexist, "Born in the USA" is a patriotic barbeque anthem, and Jonathon Swift needs to be taken to task for adding to the pile of texts portraying expendable Irish people.

You too?! It's making fun of us white nerds.

"Just what we need: another movie by and for white guys full of hot submissive women," okay, sure, but can you see what makes these different from Weird Science?
    To address these points directly, I disagree with just about everything you’ve said. I think it’s exactly what Mzo said - I’m coming at this from a vastly different experience than the target audience, and on top of that cyborg feminism is like an academic hobby of mine so. It’s not a critique if it follows the same exact trope - it doesn’t matter if the robots win in the end or live happily ever after with their creator. The ending makes zero difference. The women, personified, are made into idols. If we have identified women as gods, why are they devalued constantly? Again, why are they portrayed as crazy ex girlfriends? It places the fault of the emotional experience that the male human is feeling into the hands of the tech. It’s a lazy trope! It’s pretty much the exact same as Weird Science, but worse. Weird Science was a funny critique of male gaze because it was a comedy, it was over the top. It’s stated, explicitly. It was parody. Her and Ex Machina are faux intellectual, and just play into the same narrative but with spooky music and sad main characters. The loser male lusting after an idealized woman is the same no matter what the genre.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Damn, Mzo hitting it outta the park here. Yeah, everything you said man. I’m so over the narrative, whether it’s zack braff or joe the android lover or whatever. I don’t relate to the main characters at all. I think they are whiny and bad and if I was an omnipresent robot I’d like....not even be in their house idk. Just over the whole trope. It’s not thought provoking and it’s boring to me.
    But in the example of Ex Machina that's exactly what the movie is saying, the main characters are horrible and the robot is acting in exactly that way. You might have already figured out how shitty those characters are but way too many people haven't and that's what it's trying to tell the world.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Aughhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. Quiet sats, men are talking.
    (it's so hot when girls try to have an opinion)

9. I definitely get "I just don't want another mopey white guy and doting hot lady movie, I don't care if it's ironic or not." I also get how it's not a good (enough) subversion, because it still portrays the same olé stuff, even if it does so in order to subvert it, and that a better subversion would be the movie Mzo posited. Totally fair, and I think that's Sat's main point. It's a good one, and it's one that never really occurred to me, almost definitely because it's not a stretch for me to be able to relate to mopey white dudes.

But what I don't get is throwing out the last third of both movies in order to read them as making the opposite points they're making:

It places the fault of the emotional experience that the male human is feeling into the hands of the tech.
    Definitely. For the first 2/3 of both.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 22 Jul 2018 at 03:54 PM.

10. This conversation is going great.

How about that new Marvel flick folks, wasn't it FUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.