Page 1556 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 154215521554155515561557155815601570 ... LastLast
Results 15,551 to 15,560 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    ARBM - Endings of what other movie?
    Her and Ex Machina.

These movies agree with the post you just made! The thing Haraway critiqued is EXACTLY what both movies (especially the body-focused Ex Machina) are critiquing! That's why they had to be women. The gender and, I would argue, class angles are what makes both 100x better than a given Black Mirror "isn't technology ca-raaaaazy!?" episode.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 21 Jul 2018 at 06:12 PM.

2. Ohhhh gotcha. lol, I forgot we were talking about that too.

I mean....sort of? It tackles the concepts, you're right - but I feel that it does a very mediocre job of it. I feel the complete opposite actually, I think Black Mirror does a better job of it (depending on the episode.) Both Ex Machina and Her were unidimensional characterizations masquerading as a complex critique in the vein of Haraway. However, if you break down the concept of the movies, it completely loses the core meaning of anything Haraway describes. Just because the women/machines "win" at the end, in some sort of abstract way, doesn't mean that they ever had autonomy to begin with. The movies make the males complex, emotional, three dimensional. The women/machines are omnipresent, but have no defining characteristics other than a vague femininity. In the case of Ex Machina, this was sort of addressed in the "oh hey we're sexy robots on a rampage" - but what does that really say other than "oh look, men create women to look a certain way because male gaze, durrr." Like, no shit, Sherlock. Haven't we gone over this since The Jetsons or something? The critique, as developed in the films, ceased to be relevant or useful decades ago. We can absolutely tackle the meaning of machines and femininity, or even machines and class, and I am sure we will continue to do so, but could we stop pretending each Blade Runner redo is revolutionary?

This is why I go back to 2001 being the best conception of AI, male or female persona aside. That truly tackled alternate intelligence in an informed, enlightened, and autonomous perspective. The creator of the machine trope was absent completely from the story (other than "man creates machine," in a very very very abstract sense.) We seriously don't need anymore Frankenstein-esque narratives about androids, we really don't. It's enough! we know! Machine has daddy/mommy issues! boring!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

What fantastic overthinking. Movies must be such a dreary slog for you.

4. lol
    I hate movies!!! They are, for the most part, dreary slogs! I rarely see one I like!

I get it. You should try watching random movies from the 50’s/60’s like Rebecca and I do. They’re fascinating.

6. I love old movies!!! Like, I just watched this silly 80s movie with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long called The Money Pit, it was a dumb comedy about buying a house. But I dunno, it was endearing and sweet, and fun. I feel like we’ve totally lost any sort of touch about what movies are about as an escape or anything. Everything modern is either boring, a copy of a better movie I saw already, or just....uninspired.
    There’s a handful of things I’ve seen in the last ~20 years that were great!!! But I really have to be convinced otherwise. It’s very hard for me to shut my brain off because I WANT to think about the complexities of a plot and characters, that’s why I get joy from movies.

I don't know, I've seen a ton of cool movies in the past 20 years. Just in the end of the 90's we got the Iron Giant, Galaxy Quest, Rushmore, Eyes Wide Shut, Pi, The Matrix, Magnolia, FUCKING GHOST DOG, American Beauty, and a couple Star Trek movies. I'm going to stop but you should look at the wikipedia list of movies that came out each year before you do that "everything was better when I was younger" buttcheeks-tier boo-hoo brigade crap.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    It’s very hard for me to shut my brain off because I WANT to think about the complexities of a plot and characters, that’s why I get joy from movies.
    Sounds like this is your problem. You weren't doing that when you were younger.

9. I find that there are still a lot of movies being made that I want to see. Not all of them are in english.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Just because the women/machines "win" at the end, in some sort of abstract way, doesn't mean that they ever had autonomy to begin with.
    That is part of the critique, though. Of course they don't have autonomy to begin with. That's the point. They're robots. They were made to specifically not have the autonomy that the male characters are troubled by real women having. This is what the movies are representing in order to reject.

This seems a little like criticizing Roots for representing black people as slaves.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 21 Jul 2018 at 10:47 PM.