Page 1526 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 151215221524152515261527152815301540 ... LastLast
Results 15,251 to 15,260 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Watch Pacific Rim 2. Its ok. If you liked the first, you'll probably like the second. Lots of bots fighting things. The two main mcs are ok. The only real draw back is not enough fighting, and some of the robots are forgettable.

Castlevania - Still great. Its awesome how it gets right into the thick of it and starts with Dracula being a bad ass, wrecking everyone's ass.

New Netflix Godzilla - Ok. As others have said, not enough godzilla. He could have been replaced with just about any other monster. It kind of feels like a starship troopers spin off. The book. Not that movie by your waifu.

Rocko's Modern Life - First half of season 1. Still great and fun.

2. who are the two main main characters?

Your mother, and her mother.

4. The Shape of Water - Horny mute woman seduce merman with an egg and a racist army guy trying to break them up. I just saved you 2 hours of boredom.

5. I’m watching Into the Badlands. There’s so much dumb going on that it kinda transcends the dumb.
    You never knew how much your life needed Nick Frost King Fu Action Hero until you’ve seen it.

6. It's great. I liked season 1 more 2 though. Stoked for more in a few weeks.

7. I haven't finished the most current season, but it's great. really ridiculous and extra, but entertaining and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. Watching Preacher S2 on Hulu. Kinda meh, but Herr Star episode is pretty great.

Watched A Quiet Place. It was alright. I have many questions about how the world got to that state, though.

Just watched all of what is out of Darling in the Frankxx. Pretty excellent, but I can't really recommend it. Its like Gundam Wing and GaoGaiGar had a baby, BUT it its Relena, Dorothy, Asuka and the other gundam wing boys are in a house, and they've hit puberty and they're trying to figure all that stuff out while competing with each other for cock/vag. Degrassi: Super Robot Wars, I guess. So it looks like something Mzo would enjoy and Yeller would hate.

A thought I come back to after I spend any time with a good anime or manga is, why is so much Western Fantasy and Scifi film and tv, complete garbage? I know, that is a horrible weebaoo thing to say. I'd probably been tarred and feathered during the stretchpanic backlash of the early 2000s. But its really true. I can watch or read a good anime and there are so many layers. Like in one second I'm seeing a Godzilla reference. Then a Shinto reference. Then a sailor moon reference. Then a Charlemagne reference. Then all of these small subtle references intersect in a giant robot killing monsters that is an Allegory for the human condition.

What are most western scifi and fantasy shows? Elaborate cop dramas? Cop dramas with lasers? The same themes loosely stolen from great writers in the 70s and 80s? WhoooOOoo 1984 government. WhooOOoooo spaceships.

I can read a good manga and it feels like everything is like a piece of voltron, and by the end its all going to come together to form voltron and he's going to form the blazing sword of theme, landing a final powerful coherent message. Most western stuff? So much of it is window dressing or vineer for a couple good points. Maybe. If it is family friendly or for kids, there probably isn't a point beyond evil is bad. Master grade stuff is like, Hitler was bad. Like, Voltamort is Hitler, and that is bad.

There are of course exceptions. Tarantino is pretty good at layering, and does use cultural and historical references to build up themes inside the film. And Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer are actually wonderful at this, as they make references every couple of seconds, and layer themes, and then bring them all together later into a bigger movement or statement.