Page 876 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 862872874875876877878880890 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,760 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    21 jump street. funny as hell. Tatum showing he has some growing skills.
    Just finished watching this, laughed a lot, would recommend to a friend etc.

2. Yea 21 Jump Street was a good time.

3. I watched A Dangerous Method yesterday.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    It was somewhat interesting at times but really just kind of empty. Great acting but not much else. I'm really looking forward to that next Cronenberg joint with the Twilight dude based on a Delillo book, looks like he's getting back to his weirdo futuristic psychosexual roots.

4. Beginners. Finally a movie with Ewan McGregor that I like. Well, okay, I dug Haywire, but everything I've seen him in since Trainspotting (except maybe Black Hawk Down) has been shit. Anyway, Beginners surprised me. It was quirky and artsy in a good way, like 500 Days of Summer. I give it 4 out of 5 caramels.
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.

5. The Help

An affluent white woman graduates from college. She takes a job writing a column about cleaning. She gets her material from a black maid who risks her job volunteering it for nothing in return. She passes it off as her own. She then summons the courage to ask black maids to risk their lives imparting to her their stories about being exploited by affluent white women for a book.

The book is a hit. She makes a lot of money and moves to the big city. The black maids, left in Jackson in a now heightened state of racial tension, are mailed $46.00 each. The audience admires her for her incredible courage, then themselves for not punching black people very often. The end.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 07 May 2012 at 10:01 PM.

6. Yeah that movie sounded like Garbage.

7. If it was supposed to be wryly ironic, it's brilliant. If it wasn't, it's fluff at best and hypocritical at worst. My money is on the latter.

8. It was realistic.

9. I don't have a problem with its veracity. I have a problem with its morality. It calls Skeeter's opportunism courage. It congratulates her for it and expects us to do the same.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 08 May 2012 at 01:17 PM.

10. Also, the most egregious example of the mistreatment of the maids that The Help bothers to tell us is that they were made to use their own bathrooms, wrongfully fired, and not given advances. Come on. Get your hands dirty, movie.

For a movie (supposedly) about courage, it certainly doesn't have much.