Page 1557 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 154315531555155615571558155915611571 ... LastLast
Results 15,561 to 15,570 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. I mean it did feel pretty racist that they were.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I love old movies!!! Like, I just watched this silly 80s movie with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long called The Money Pit, it was a dumb comedy about buying a house. But I dunno, it was endearing and sweet, and fun. I feel like we’ve totally lost any sort of touch about what movies are about as an escape or anything. Everything modern is either boring, a copy of a better movie I saw already, or just....uninspired.
    There’s a handful of things I’ve seen in the last ~20 years that were great!!! But I really have to be convinced otherwise. It’s very hard for me to shut my brain off because I WANT to think about the complexities of a plot and characters, that’s why I get joy from movies.
    You JUST got around to watching The Money Pit?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Birdman is really fucking good btw. If deconstructing movies is your hobby you should like it.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't know, I've seen a ton of cool movies in the past 20 years. Just in the end of the 90's we got the Iron Giant, Galaxy Quest, Rushmore, Eyes Wide Shut, Pi, The Matrix, Magnolia, FUCKING GHOST DOG, American Beauty, and a couple Star Trek movies. I'm going to stop but you should look at the wikipedia list of movies that came out each year before you do that "everything was better when I was younger" buttcheeks-tier boo-hoo brigade crap.
    Nonono! 90s movies are great! I think I said above that post 2002 is where it starts to go downhill for me. Boogie Nights is a masterpiece, circa 97.

There are definitely good movies since then, but it’s few and far between. Post 2010 it’s worse and worse. Movies are the one piece of media that has tanked to shit since I was younger. Music, TV, just about everything else has continued to get better. Movies are much worse.

Watching Rebel in the Rye right now, shame this was Kevin Spacey’s final foray as an actor (for the time being.) he’s quite good but the rest of the movie is complete crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    That is part of the critique, though. Of course they don't have autonomy to begin with. That's the point. They're robots. They were made to specifically not have the autonomy that the male characters are troubled by real women having. This is what the movies are representing in order to reject.

This seems a little like criticizing Roots for representing black people as slaves.
    I’m not sure if I’m communicating my point well enough, or perhaps were just not seeing eye to eye on the concepts in general. The AI have ultimately more autonomy than the main characters - they are omnipresent. They are gods, or as close as we can get to them, and we are told as much over and over again throughout the movies. “Wow, Scarlet Johansson! You can transport me anywhere in the world and I don’t even have to leave my couch!” “Wow, Slave Bots, you cater to my every whim without me even having to ask!” They are placed on the pedestal of the male gaze (not a dealbreaker for a likability of a movie for me personally, but it’s worth noting in the context of the films that it does it little favors.) They exist ONLY in relation to the men present, despite the fact that we are told time and time again that they are better, faster, stronger, etc. than humans. Which brings me back to my point about 2001 - the AI is autonomous, DESPITE the presence of the astronauts. It’s different than criticizing Roots because again, the slavemasters are secondary to the story, not the main characters. The slaves are autonomous, they exist outside of the slavemaster’s gaze. In both Ex Machina and Her, the human is the main character, and the robots are never developed as characters except as like, weird crazy ex girlfriends. It doesn’t work for me in movies sans robots, and it doesn’t work for me with them. The trope annoys me! Thus, both movies are lame and boring to me.

So Lord of the Rings really did break everything.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    So Lord of the Rings really did break everything.
    That’s another tough one. I LOVED those movies. Saw them a ton of times. I don’t feel like they hold up so well anymore, but I do respect them for being revolutionary at the time. For better or worse, they popularized the epic episodic style. Though I feel like this has done irreparable damage to the movie industry, it has done wonders for television and for shows along the lines of GoT. The scope of large-cast, multi-layer plotlines works fabulously for TV.

I dunno it's all so boring.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

9. LoTR is still amazing. The Hobbit, not so much.

I watch lotr every couple years or so. It’s still good.