Page 1533 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 151915291531153215331534153515371547 ... LastLast
Results 15,321 to 15,330 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    No they needed to drop more than one to prove it wasnt just some fluke.
    The A-Bomb wasn't the reason why Japan surrendered. 60% of Japan's cities had already been destroyed by air bombing from the US. Japan surrendered after the Russians declared war on the country, hours before the second A-Bomb was dropped, and took over Manchuria by August 20th. US history says that we did it to end the war with Japan, but dropping the A-bomb on minor cities wasn't really a tactical decision. It was done to show US superiority to the Russians, and that we didn't have just one bomb.

This interview exposes some of that, though I think that the woman doing the interview does a poor job.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    No they needed to drop more than one to prove it wasnt just some fluke.
    The A-Bomb wasn't the reason why Japan surrendered. 60% of Japan's cities had already been destroyed by air bombing from the US. Japan surrendered after the Russians declared war on the country, hours before the second A-Bomb was dropped, and took over Manchuria by August 20th. US history says that we did it to end the war with Japan, but dropping the A-bomb on minor cities wasn't really a tactical decision. It was done to show US superiority to the Russians, and that we didn't have just one bomb. Seeing that we has US naval bases in the Pacific, including Japan, the dropping of the A-Bomb gave the US an advantage in negotiations for the surrender of Japan.

This interview exposes some of that, though I think that the woman doing the interview does a poor job.

Last edited by gamevet; 20 May 2018 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The A-Bomb wasn't the reason why Japan surrendered. 60% of Japan's cities had already been destroyed by air bombing from the US. Japan surrendered after the Russians declared war on the country, hours before the second A-Bomb was dropped, and took over Manchuria by August 20th. US history says that we did it to end the war with Japan, but dropping the A-bomb on minor cities wasn't really a tactical decision. It was done to show US superiority to the Russians, and that we didn't have just one bomb.

This seems correct. And sadly it isn't secret information.

If i remember it correctly, it is all explained in detail in the old The World at War doc. This was aired on tv back in 24 April 1974.

It was interesting to see how the UK and the United States screwed over Russia, and how Stalin's Russia was the real reason why Germany was defeated.
    It is more nuanced than that, as bbobb said. I would recommend watching the old World at War doc as a follow up.

It really was an allied effort, even though Russia wants to pat themselves on the back for losing the most men, and the US wants to pretend they won the war at Normandy.

Without the US, Germany would have won, or at least destroyed Europe and created a dictatorship consumed by several many civil wars as their military strength was spread to thin to hold something so large.

But the biggest thing the US did is the least exciting: we supplied everyone. And we taught Russia how to be industrial. Ford went to Russia and taught them how to build factories and equipment.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...h-soviet-union

And we forced Germany and its allies to divide their forces. Germany almost took the Russian capital. How far could they have gotten had they not spread their forces?

Stalingrad.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    It is more nuanced than that, as bbobb said. I would recommend watching the old World at War doc as a follow up.

It really was an allied effort, even though Russia wants to pat themselves on the back for losing the most men, and the US wants to pretend they won the war at Normandy.

Without the US, Germany would have won, or at least destroyed Europe and created a dictatorship consumed by several many civil wars as their military strength was spread to thin to hold something so large.

But the biggest thing the US did is the least exciting: we supplied everyone. And we taught Russia how to be industrial. Ford went to Russia and taught them how to build factories and equipment.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...h-soviet-union

And we forced Germany and its allies to divide their forces. Germany almost took the Russian capital. How far could they have gotten had they not spread their forces?
    They needed our help, but the actions of the West prolonged the war with Germany and Russia. Germany was exhausting their troops and supplies, while Russia revamped their military equipment for a long drawn out war. The German tanks and vehicles were not designed for the conditions of the Russian terrain.

Yeah, I've read and watched a lot of stuff that covered the war. Too much of it is patriotic flag raising, without looking at what else was going on during WWII.

7. You obviously haven't read and watched enought if you want to dumb it down to one sentence.

Once again, this shit is significantly more nuanced than that, I actually took a semester in college on a class studying JUST the dropping of the bombs and even that didn't scratch the surface of that event.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    You obviously haven't read and watched enought if you want to dumb it down to one sentence.

Once again, this shit is significantly more nuanced than that, I actually took a semester in college on a class studying JUST the dropping of the bombs and even that didn't scratch the surface of that event.
    Is it not true that Stalin wanted an agreement that favored Russia, while the UK and US were constantly butting heads with them over the agreement?

Is it not true that Truman boasted about the secret weapon to Stalin during their meetings and wanted to show its destructive power?

There are many opinions about how the affairs of WWII went. It really depends on who's perspective you get it from.

They needed our help, but the actions of the West prolonged the war with Germany and Russia. Germany was exhausting their troops and supplies, while Russia revamped their military equipment for a long drawn out war. The German tanks and vehicles were not designed for the conditions of the Russian terrain.
    Had the US never entered the war, Germany would have crushed what was left of the France and English forces and brought England into their war time economy along with their territories. They would have left the bare minimum of men on the western front, and put more men and equipment in the east. Also, with the non US allies defeated, and the US neutral, that would leave most of the world to buy oil, steel and rubber from.

There would have been no revamping of the Russian equipment without the US. The US literally taught Russia modern industry. And we provided them ass loads of equipment and raw materials.

I realize it is hip to say Russia won the war now because everyone was taught a watered down version of the story in high school and they feel like they found the secret truth, but that is not the case. Russia won that war with blood. And the US with money and sweat.

Not that I think Germany could have ever won that war. Even if they could have reached their goals. I don't think they could have held it and it would have fallen apart via civil war.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Had the US never entered the war, Germany would have crushed what was left of the France and English forces and brought England into their war time economy along with their territories. They would have left the bare minimum of men on the western front, and put more men and equipment in the east. Also, with the non US allies defeated, and the US neutral, that would leave most of the world to buy oil, steel and rubber from.

There would have been no revamping of the Russian equipment without the US. The US literally taught Russia modern industry. And we provided them ass loads of equipment and raw materials.
    Yes, but what you are talking about was after WWI, during peace time. It's not like the US helped revamp Russia's army with superior tanks to the Germans, after they had to rebuild their factories and plants so they could strike back at Germany. Germany took on more than they could chew when they tried to conquer Russia, and they took incredible losses over the winters and muddy season.

I realize it is hip to say Russia won the war now because everyone was taught a watered down version of the story in high school and they feel like they found the secret truth, but that is not the case. Russia won that war with blood. And the US with money and sweat.
    That pretty much agrees with what I'd said. Great Britain and the US let Russia fight it out with Germany and prolonged their strikes towards Germany. It was Russia that took Berlin.

I did check out your movie, BTW. I also checked out the next chapter about the rebuilding after the war, and it was an interesting view too.