Page 1571 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 155715671569157015711572157315751585 ... LastLast
Results 15,701 to 15,710 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I will remind her of that. She watched Civil War recently, too, so shame on her.
    I had forgotten about that too until I went back and rematched Civil War.

2. The best thing about Civil War was Antman.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I will remind her of that. She watched Civil War recently, too, so shame on her.
    I think it's the mid-credit scene.

4. The Predator. It was fucking terrible.

5. lol oh no. You gonna be ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Summer of '84 by the same dudes that did Turbo Kid.

Kind of a strange movie? Good suspense, most of the kids are good. Very straightforward plot where I was expecting at least one twist or turn, but i guess the ending is pretty unconventional so that was their thing? I didn't hate it, it just felt like it was happening around me and I never connected with anything in it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    lol oh no. You gonna be ok?
    I wasn't aware that I had a rep for being a full-on Predator fanatic, lol. But I do really like the whole Predator shtick a lot, and I'm a big fan of the first two movies, sure.

But The Predator is just a whole new level of bad...it made the shitty AVP movies look like amazingly well-done and thoughtful films in comparison.

The plot was terrible, the script made almost no sense in parts, bad dialogue was in abundance, almost all of the characters were completely unlikable and annoying, and even the editing of the film was confusing and poorly done. It wasn't a bad Predator movie...it was a bad movie, period. Even the ending, which was completely reshot after test audiences shit all over it, was absolutely terrible.

I have some time to kill this morning, and its been a while since I've done a "random movie thoughts" post, so here's some examples:

I love how in movies autism is treated like a superpower instead of a developmental disorder. Like, in The Predator the main character's kid is autistic, but it's just movie autism. Meaning they have one scene in the beginning where he's established with a stereotypical reaction to a fire alarm (starts freaking out and tapping his head with both hands) but behaves like a completely normal kid for the rest of the movie. However, through the MAGIC OF AUTISM, he is able to completely decipher the Predator language and technology within seconds and by the end of the movie this child (he has to be like 10 years old) has a JOB WORKING FOR THE GOVERNMENT RESEARCHING PREDATOR TECH. I mean, with his own desk in a top-secret laboratory and everything.

Even worse, Olivia Munn's scientist character makes a casual comment about how some scientists believe autistic individuals represent the next stage in human evolution(?!?), and it's later revealed that the Predators are taking the strongest genetic traits from the various species they hunt and adding them to their own DNA to become even stronger. And the Predator in this movie wants the kid so he can extract his autism and give it to himself. Like, seriously.

And just more and more bad writing. The main character encounters the Predator in the beginning of the film and, to keep him quiet, the government ships him off to a mental hospital. He enters a bus with other vets who are heading to the aforementioned hospital and the head nutcase instantly takes a linking to him and immediately starts introducing each guy in the bus, one-by-one, by name and chief identifying personalty characteristic as if he's going down a checklist. "Here's so-and-so. He has Tourette Syndrome (guy then blurts out random curse word). Here's so-and-so, he's into Jesus (guy says something abut Jesus). Here's so-and-so, he tells jokes (guy tells joke)." And so it goes. It's the worst kind of forced expository dialogue.

Random stuff:

People suddenly have vehicles or vitally important pieces of information without any establishing shots to show how or why they got them.

The kid wears the Predator helmet while trick-or-treating - which 100% conceals his face - but the neighborhood bullies impossibly recognize him anyway. The kid then accidentally kills a bully with the mask.

Tons of slopping editing. The kid makes friends with a dog and there's an odd shot of it running to the team's truck as if it's going to run inside and tag along. But the dog is never seen or mentioned again after that shot(?). Also, the main human bad guy is killed by accidentally blowing his head off with a Predator plasma caster in a blink-and-you-missed-it shot that left people in the audience not even understanding what the fuck had happened.

The Predator has alien dogs, but one gets shot in the head and as a result is suddenly tamed and starts playfully helping the humans like an Earth dog.

The Predator ship takes off at the end with some humans clinging to it's surface. Olivia Munn's character is left behind. The ship flies for what seems like hundreds of miles before the humans bring it down. Olivia Munn amazingly manages to get to the ship's crash site ON FOOT WITHIN SECONDS to help in the final battle. Did the ship fly in a complete circle and crash where it took off?

The cool-looking Predator in the trailers is killed before the middle of the film. Boo.

The ending is just horrible. The 10 year-old autistic kid is working for the government now and is researching an object that the "good" Predator left behind for the humans (it's not even explained that the one Predator was "good" until the end...previously, he had been killing almost every human he encountered, so what makes him "good"?). The object is discovered essentially to be Iron Man's nano-suit from Infinity War, which the kid figures out is a "Predator Killer" suit for humans to wear. The suit looks ridiculous- it has dreadlocks and two massive cannons that pop out of nowhere from it's back like in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Just so dumb.

No cool "Predator using his wacky advanced gadgets" scene. That stuff is pretty stripped down and marginalized, sadly.

That's just a small sampling of the dumb shit in this movie. I could go on all day with this, I won't. It sucks, I hope they don't make another one.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 20 Sep 2018 at 09:22 AM.

now I want to watch it

9. I remember liking Predators but I don't really remember the movie. I wanted this to be good.