Page 1558 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 154415541556155715581559156015621572 ... LastLast
Results 15,571 to 15,580 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I took my daughter to the doctor and a black dude walked in. On the down low she did a thing to let me know she wasnt cool with a black doctor. She didnt think a black dude could even be a doctor.
    It's funny because it's a reversal of expectations. These are things that are actually said about black doctors. Can you imagine that shit? Someone saying that unironically? Maybe you haven't been around racist people enough to get what he's doing.

I thought it was great.

The whole point of the joke is that he flipped some ridiculous, racist shit and you flip it back like he's never considered the other side when he has thought about it so, so much.

That's funny, too, in its own way.

I think some people are just ready to be over it. It kind of sick to keep having this talk if you do treat minorities fairly. Like you were the dog that didn't sit the house while the people were out.

But it's still happening.

Let's get over you being an abusive husband, I'm tired of the awkward talks. Still getting punched once a week, though.

I would argue it's happening more than it has in years, like some strange, unspecific event has rallied all the fucking Nazis and given them confidence and a platform.

Also shock shock movie written by a dorky white guy about being lonely, pining for a woman who is just a voice (internet much?) and wallowing in being pathetic resonates with white nerds and somehow bounces off a woman who has been on the other side.

For the record, I really liked it but I'm as much the target audience that relates to the feels as you nerds.

WARNING, APPROACHING PEAK WOKE

I need to sit down for a minute.

8. And I would argue I still prefer the Nazis feel comfortable enough to make themselves known. Makes it easier to round them up when they do some dumb shit.

And I guess a worldline exists in which a black man portraying a successful doctor and a black woman portraying a successful lawyer wasn't the biggest thing on tv for half a decade 30 years ago.

I've seen it argued that in order for other races to reach par with whites, whites need to be brought down and "comedy" like that is a tool to do so. I think it makes more sense to elevate those that are "down" instead. I also feel like the same people that get outraged when a person hits a kid for hitting another kid should also get outraged when a group that needs to be reprimanded for certain behavior is done so by having that behavior turned on them. Minorities that have had it with being stereotyped because of the actions of a few respond by stereotyping whites because of the actions of a few. That's a bit of a mixed message, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    But it's still happening.

Let's get over you being an abusive husband, I'm tired of the awkward talks. Still getting punched once a week, though.
    Yeah. But they're not the ones doing it.

And we use narratives that lump everyone together. We talk about the white people. White people some how are responsible for all other white people. White people are expected to take some portion of their time and money to stop other white people from doing bad.

And you might say "well yeah"

And I would ask, then why can't the majority speak and act against minorities in the same way?

We've some how ended up in a weird place where it isn't that racism and prejudice are wrong, in fact minorities love speaking in those terms. It's the severity of the punishment and oppression that one group can bring to bear that is wrong.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I’” They are placed on the pedestal of the male gaze (not a dealbreaker for a likability of a movie for me personally, but it’s worth noting in the context of the films that it does it little favors.)
    Yeah, but, can you see why a movie like Garden State, which only has a woman in it to help actualize the dopey male, portrays the trope you're talking about, and endorses it. It thinks, "isn't this cute?"

Her and Ex Machina portray what you're talking about too, but they do so to say "this is a problem." They're not endorsements of manic pixie dream girl like Garden State is; they are critiques of manic pixie dream girl. That's what Ex Machina's entire third act is the way it is. That's why the male gaze guys you've identified are unlikeable and punished. It's not endorsing the male gaze; it's subverting it.

If the main character and the robot in Ex Machina live happily ever after, then you have a point, but that they do not is what makes it a critique of exactly those tropes. These movies agree with you. They are taking a position on these things. They are on your side.

My point about Roots is that if you stop at what the movie portrays and don't investigate how the movie values what it's portraying, then Roots is racist, The Bloody Chamber is just reiterating fairy tale gender roles, Ex Machina is sexist, "Born in the USA" is a patriotic barbeque anthem, and Jonathon Swift needs to be taken to task for adding to the pile of texts portraying expendable Irish people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Also shock shock movie written by a dorky white guy about being lonely, pining for a woman who is just a voice (internet much?) and wallowing in being pathetic resonates with white nerds and somehow bounces off a woman who has been on the other side.
    You too?! It's making fun of us white nerds.

"Just what we need: another movie by and for white guys full of hot submissive women," okay, sure, but can you see what makes these different from Weird Science?
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 22 Jul 2018 at 02:16 PM.