Page 1301 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 128712971299130013011302130313051315 ... LastLast
Results 13,001 to 13,010 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Thanks for getting that theme in my head.

Watching all the Xmen movies this week so I can run them right into the new one. They really don't compare very well to the Marvel Universe movies. Everyone calling each other by their code names all the time is pretty hokey. I feel so bad for Rogue in these movies too. Her powers are such a bummer. Not bad enough to forgive the on again-off again accent though.

Fucking LOL at the end of X3 where Phoenix is fucking shit up, and Wolverine just gets his shirt burned off and his pants ripped sexily.

I feel so bad for everyone on screen in the Origins movie too. Everyone was trying so hard, and that movie just straight up sucked. Wasted potential.

Also, Cyclops is a dick and all, but killing him off screen seems a bit excessive.

4. 1933's Baby Face with Barbra Stanwyck has a Disney ending, which is out of place because it's not a Disney movie. And for all the ballyhoo of this being the exploitation film that brought on enforcement of the code, it has a good deal of heart. I very much recommend it as a rags to riches crime and society movie. Just expect some crudeness in the filmmaking dept for 1933.

1933 also produced Cagney's Picture Snatcher - ex-con goes legit to take pictures for the Fox TMZ paper (probably NY Post). Again some great heart, shell cases of action, and a pretty solid ending.

Last from '33, Robinson's Little Giant. Not as good as the top two, but as a bootlegger kingpin goes legit, we find the worst criminals are at the top as they con him into buying a shady bank going under.

Not visually risqué by today's standards, but pre-code '33 was the year Hollywood put the screws to society.

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Watching all the Xmen movies this week so I can run them right into the new one. They really don't compare very well to the Marvel Universe movies. Everyone calling each other by their code names all the time is pretty hokey. I feel so bad for Rogue in these movies too. Her powers are such a bummer. Not bad enough to forgive the on again-off again accent though.

Fucking LOL at the end of X3 where Phoenix is fucking shit up, and Wolverine just gets his shirt burned off and his pants ripped sexily.

I feel so bad for everyone on screen in the Origins movie too. Everyone was trying so hard, and that movie just straight up sucked. Wasted potential.
    All of these superhero movies seem to do better when they think a little bit broader in scope—these things will link if nothing more than by the characters in them. The old X-Men movies had little rhyme, or reason and don't feel very congruent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Yeah, in the TV show Jessie seems to be a preacher because he wants to be, but in the comic it was anything but that. I'm a little confused because of the flashbacks of his father (who was not a preacher in the comics), but it looks like the whole backstory with Grandma and Jody just isn't there. That's an enormous thing to leave out.

AMC can't keep milking The Walking Dead, and they're hoping this will be their next big breakout hit, but I don't see this episode getting anyone interested in it. I had bad feels when Seth Rogen's involvement was announced, and it looks like those fears were warranted. The dude just sucks.
    I downloaded the first episode just to watch it. Not knowing anything about the comics I had a relatively OK experience with it. Lots of setup. He didn't seem to want to be a Preacher to me. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff from the comics they fucked up (because of your post) but there's a lot of mystery surrounding Jesse I'm sure they can reveal as the series progresses.

I liked the fight scenes. Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy seemed pretty cool? I also liked seeing Dan from Deadwood — I think he's the sheriff but he looks so different.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 May 2016 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Watched Preacher last night - I haven't read the comics so I came in knowing only what a friend of mine (who is obsessed with Preacher) had relayed to me in past conversations. I really really don't think we can know if it's going to be good with this first episode only - so far it didn't make me want to turn it off, there were some parts that were like okay, whatever, and some that were yeah! cool! But I really am going to need to see more. I see the glimmering of Cooper potentially being amazing. Tulip was very cool, I liked her. I like their dynamic together. I'm very into "man who loses his faith" story lines so hopefully it expands some on that. Not disappointed at all though, I just need to see more!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. Man, I was really jazzed about this show when it was first announced years ago. Now, I forgot about it and I'm skeptical.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. I watched Preacher (haven't read the comics) and want to watch more. I like Tulip a lot. I didn't get the sense that Jesse wanted to be a preacher either. I liked his conversation with Arseface a lot.

9. Click for full size

Watched two more movies from '33. Do watch Mayor of Hell. Cagney is a gangster crooked politicians put in as a puppet over a juvenile detention center. However, he soon connects with the kids and turns it into a real rehabilitation center, teaching the kids to value themselves. Cagney's crime connections catch up to him and he must leave. The old warden steps back in, punishes the kids harder, killing one, and all Hell breaks loose in a riot. It's the set up for a lame comedy, but the drama and kids acting is enough to make it moving.

It's great comparing these pre-code, depression films to today and question, why if we know society's problems with wealth, politicians, and the penal system, has so little been done to reform them?

Do not watch Red-headed Woman. The film low budget Baby Face was to copy, it lacks the writing and Jean Harlow just isn't compelling. It's exploitation with little story, there is a bit of a gun fight and action, but it's not worth the hour leading up to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 25 May 2016 at 10:15 AM.

Finished up the Xmen movies again. I like how it just starts back over at the beginning of Xmen 2, sorta.

I actually really, really liked Future Past this time around. I really hope the new one isn't the turd that everyone seems to think/say it is.