Page 1561 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 154715571559156015611562156315651575 ... LastLast
Results 15,601 to 15,610 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Losers

2. I’m not confused as to why others aren’t understanding why you don’t like those movies. My female artist friends have the same perspective (with other movies not this one specifically). We speak about it while we paint. Most men think the narrative is enough but the story is where so much fun is had. Why not explore these themes head on?
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 22 Jul 2018 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    My female artist friends have the same perspective. We speak about it while we paint.
    lol

4. The only empowering part in Ex Machina is when the robot is fully nude and picking out what killer dress she’s gonna wear on her big day out.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

5. I think I got so wrapped up in the question of blame that I missed the greater point about perspective. I get how

Garden State Manic Pixie Dream Girl:
    First 2/3s = "it's fine!"
    Last 1/3 = "still fine!"

is closer to

Her Manic Pixie Dream Girl:
    First 2/3s= "it's fine!"
    Last 1/3 = "it's bad, actually."

than I had accounted for when the perspectives are exactly the same despite the movies ultimately taking opposite positions. I can see how "enslaved hot cyberlady but she's free in the last scene" is not as radical as it thinks it is.

Meh, who cares. Most male leads that girls like are manic pixie dream boys. All the recent young male Dr who's are that

7. We don't have manic pixie dream boys per se, since there really aren't a plethora of movies that encompass the "female gaze." HOWEVER, and it could be argued and I will argue it, that yaoi/fandom culture is very much a recontextualizing of stories in order to more closely fit a female gaze narrative. There's been a few essays on it that are near and dear to my heart - which ultimately say that it's not that the women who lust after characters want to sleep with them (as in the majority of male gaze films/shows,) it's because they want to BE them. In order to keep the narrative of female sexuality relevant (because it's basically ignored completely by any above-ground entertainment means) it is reshaped into the male/male partnerships, because males are actually, listened to and considered as human beings rather than as side stories or supporting characters. So, by transferring our sexuality on to that of a male or a male/male love story, we are able to reclaim and identify with what we were left out of in the main narrative.

This is why female* fandom flourishes, because it's one of the only outlets we have to express or sexuality safely.

/edit - gay, trans, nonbinary, etc as well, but I'm just saying "female" bc thats what I've researched the most but it's very similar for all groups outside of the cis hetero male model.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

I have a feeling that it doesn't manifest in the same way depending on the target gender. Do a quick google on how to tailor a tender account to get the most hits. One of the top recommendations for men is to not look at the camera or smile. To take pictures from the side or a distance. To have a picture of them interacting in a group. Of them winning or achieving something.

Women like to observe attractive men from the sidelines. Which makes sense because until recently this was their only option and they lacked agency.

Women need a narrative more. Otherwise there is nothing to observe from the side.

Similarly, yaoi allows young women to observe two attractive men from a distance. They can indulge their new desires while not confronting anything that they annoys them about romance.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 23 Jul 2018 at 02:18 AM.

9. I started watching Ann with an E on Netflix. Went through the first season and am a few episodes into the second.
    I like it!
    I never read Anne of Green Gables, so I don't know how closely it follows that, but it's nice to watch a story about various relationships unfold without dumb effects, dumb sex scenes (I don't care about nudity, but watching people fake fuck is just so corny and ridiculous), and a lot of forced language.
    The actress playing Ann is suitably obnoxious but grows on you, as intended.
    If you're in the mood for something cute, give it a shot.

10. My family grew up watching Road to Avonlea on Sunday nights—which is a corny 90s single camera show set in that universe. I have a hard time getting in to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."