Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are We Fighting about HDMI?

1. hdmi is a digital signal, it only passes ons and offs or 0s and 1s, as long as the signal is transmitted, there is no difference in the picture displayed. a digital datastream is immune to interference, which is the main issue with analog

with digital, there is no data conversion only passthrough, and the only real parameter that would make any difference would be the cable bandwidth which has different standards for different versions of HDMI.

analog cables such as component and composite, you will definitely see a difference depending on quality because they are succeptable to interference/crosstalk and data conversion quality. same with audio

spending 100 bucks on an HDMI cable will net you no discernable difference in your picture. in the case of HDMI a cable is a cable, a 5 dollar monoprice or bluejeanscable will perform just as well as a monster

edit: monster cable components are definitely manufactured at a higher quality and may take more wear and tear in the long run, but in all reality most people will never be able to tell the difference anyways.
    Last edited by D_N_G; 28 Nov 2007 at 10:52 PM.

2. The cables I have can pass 10.2Gbps but the one I used to using could only pass about 2Gbps.

Are you really telling me, and think long and hard before you answer this, that when I have my PS3 playing a Blu-Ray on a 46'' 120Hz 1080p HDTV that the first cable can handle that kind of data transfer?

Also, we had a nice $70 Belkin HDMI being used while we played Pirates under those conditions and it was blurring during fast sequences, then we put the cable on that I have and it was crystal fucking perfect. Now, maybe I'm fucking insane, but the cable, possibly, just maybe, had something to do with that and I'm not buying cheap shit anymore.

3. was the Belkin a 1.3a cable?

if so, then thats shitty QA at the manufacturer. as a manufacturing standard, all 1.3/1.3a cable should be able to pass 10.2gbps. all hdmi is certified for over 120hz, so that shouldnt have beenthe problem

4. It was a 1.3a, yes.

It should have worked, according to Belkin it would, according to my eyes it wasn't even close.

5. D_N_G seems to know his shit.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Because I've seen the results of the eye test and it pretty much shows that Monster is of a higher standard and performs better.
    LOL, you gotta be kidding me. Of course Monster Cable test is going to show their cables are worth the ridiculous markup. What else do you expect Coke to say? Pepsi is better?

Hey, if you can buy it at cost, that's better than paying the premium but I will stick with the generic monoprice cables that work just as well as yours. My HTPC, 360 and PS3 are all hooked up with them and I use AVIA calibration DVDs and everything (movies/games/etc) all look as good as my TV can show.

Heck, my friend who has a better HDTV thinks my setup is better, I bet he buys Monster too since he loves brand name stuff.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    LOL, you gotta be kidding me. Of course Monster Cable test is going to show their cables are worth the ridiculous markup. What else do you expect Coke to say? Pepsi is better
    The second test was performed by Monster?

Shit all this time I thought it was done by a third party, since, you know, it was on a third party site and all.

8. I clicked on the first link, that's enough marketing BS for me. Monster is overpriced cables. I have said enough, there are plenty of more knowledgeable people who agree with me so I am done arguing with you. Take the blue pill for all I care.

9. You assume I'm trying to sell you guys shit, I'm not.

I don't work for Monster and I've been shown shit about HDMI from atleast half a dozen other vendors, and the shit they offer doesn't stack up in terms of quality. But AGAIN, that doesn't mean you need to buy Monster and if you want to believe that I don't know what I'm talking about and all shit is exactly the same, thats fine. I really don't care.

In fact I never even went as far as to say Monster isn't overpriced, because it is. It's awesome shit, it's all I want to use anymore, it is for fucking sure a better product even if your super educated friends (who have probably spent not even half the fucking time I have being taught about what HDMI is, how it works and why it exists) say it isn't.

Monster is expensive and you're paying for the name, but the same is true about Lamborghini; but I bet if I came in and said I have a Lamborghini no one would tell me their Ford is just as good. Yes, your Ford is good enough, yes my Lamborghini is over priced, but no, they are not the same fucking thing.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    The second test was performed by Monster?

Shit all this time I thought it was done by a third party, since, you know, it was on a third party site and all.
    Your second link says this:

1) At short distances up to 6ft (2 meters), you can pretty much get away with any cable. Monoprice cables kicked ass at the 6 foot length that mostly everyone uses.
    If you read it you would see that they say the only time cheaper and midprice cables fail is at a distance of greater the 2 meters... but why the fuck would you be running your cables longer then 2 meters?

The only link you provided that actually says monster is better is monsters page.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.