Thread: Taxidermy and/or tanning?

1. Taxidermy and/or tanning?

Though I'm not looking to discuss the ethical issues involved, I've wanted to learn how to tan small animal pelts for some time. I've been looking for a decent book on the subject not geared toward deer and larger animals, but Amazon.com reviews haven't been too helpful. There are some decent online guides, but I'd like something a bit more comprehensive and... maybe something that doesn't involve smoking the furs in a teepee.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience or at least knows someone who might be able to steer me in the right direction.

2. Well, the first step is to have sex with the beast. You can never really get inside an animal, until you've gotten inside an animal.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. See, this is the kind of response that kept me from asking my hillbilly relations in Pennsylvania.

4. How exactly are you acquiring such small animals?

You're killing the pigeons and squirrels outside your apartment... and need to find something to do with the bodies... aren't you?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Until I move back to a place with woods and animals running all over, I haven't quite figured that out yet. The pet store would not be very cost effective. There are reasonably priced non-tanned skins on eBay, but I imagine shipping frozen things is expensive. It's hardly convenient, but I still want to learn more about it even if I never do get to try it.

I don't think the neighbors would take kindly to me going after skunks with pellet guns, but I suppose you really don't know til you try.

6. I've hunted a few times, and ate the meat, but never had a desire to keep the head or skin. I usually let someone else have it or give it to the ranger for disposal when it's tagged. a quick ggogle found this. EDIT: also: this.

7. This PDF seems pretty informative, thanks! And yeah, hunting is a pretty big thing at home, but mostly just deer. Other than enjoying venison for a while afterwards, nobody I know seems to make use of the rest of the animal. It seems like a pretty labor-intensive task, but for some reason I really want to try my hand at it.

It seems like well-preserved recent roadkill is the best bet for small animals. Considering I'm not crazy about the idea of killing something I'm not going to eat, anyway. I realize that you have to be some kind of a creep to be interested in taxidermy at all, but it seems that I'm going to have to step up my game.