Thread: Dreamcast VGA box problems

1. Dreamcast VGA box problems

Hi, everyone.

Got a VGA box, VGA cable, etc., for my Dreamcast to hook up to my new Toshiba REGZA LCD HDTV. However, the words "Unsupported Video Signal" flash up on the screen. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? Will it require a new VGA box, perhaps manufactured by another company?

Thanks,

Will

2. I hate to suggest the obvious, but have you tested both the monitor and the VGA box with other equipment to make sure they both work properly?

Maybe you should try hooking up a PC and setting the VGA output to 640x480@60Hz and see if that gives you the same problem, and then try hooking your VGA box to another monitor to make sure the box is outputting a proper signal.

3. I am having the exact same issue on a regza. I can get my dc to work via the vga box on my lcd monitor, and I had a pc running on the tv on the vga input at 60hz 640x480. I just keeping getting that unsupported video signal message when trying the dc. Have you had any luck? I think the vga box might not be compatible with our tvs.

4. Some TV's don't like VGA boxes for whatever reason. My Samsung gave me problems at first but a little fidgeting got it to work, whereas my Olevia had no problems at all from the get-go.

The one kedawa sold me has a switch that goes from analog to VGA, so you can avoid a check the Dreamcast performs on bootup. If it detects a VGA signal on boot, sometimes it doesn't work depending on the game.

If you have such a switch, like "US" and "JAP" the US is analog, and JAP is the VGA. Try starting on analog and switching to VGA after about 10-15 seconds.

5. My VGA box has the switch, and it runs fine in VGA mode on my PC monitor. I tested it through the s-video on my tv and that works too. For some reason the VGA mode apparently isn't supported on my tv. I confirmed the DC is booting the games. It just sucks because I want to play Ikaruga and Soul Calibur in all of their glory. Granted I could pretty much do that with those games on my Wii, but using the GC controller for Ikaruga is torture.

6. Hi guys, I'm really new on this board etc. Just been trying to do the same thing as you guys with Dreamcast VGA. I have a sony bravia lcd tv however.

I have spoken with Sony and they feel it should be supported but I connect my DC to the tv via the vga socket using my dc vga box and cable etc and it just says "out of range" I have tried this setup before on my brothers slightly older lcd tv and it worked fine. Any ideas?

I also wanted to know a few things about the dreamcast itself to answer sony's questions when I speak to them again. They seem to think my tv will only support 50hz. So my question is, does the dreamcast automatically display in 50hz via vga until you tell it to change to 60hz when loading a game? You know when your prompted to choose 50 or 60 hz on most games.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated guys. Thanks

Pro

What is the model number? I am considering getting a VGA for DC, but have a Bravia. KDL-52XBR4.
    I took all your French Toast.

8. AFAIK, the Dreamcast always outputs 60Hz via VGA.
    Some games have a 50Hz/60Hz option, but the option only appears when using a composite, s-video, or RGB connection.