Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Books that have changed your life.

1. Books that have changed your life.

What books have you read that have completely opened your mind, helped you overcome some sort of adversity or forever altered the way you view the world?

One right off the top of my head is:

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie: Before I read this I used to be a really negative asshole, I would always criticize others and would almost never have a positive thing to say. After I read this I took it upon myself to radically alter my personality. I try to put myself in others shoes and consider their feelings before I run off at the mouth I like I used to do. I still think negative things, but I can hold my tongue now.

This is definetly something I would recommend to others.

Okay, what are some of yours?

2. 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. Particularly the story "Pop Art". I've done almost nothing but talk about this book since I read it and that's not going to stop soon. It made me aware of and appreciative of the whimsical like nothing in my adulthood ever has, and I'll always be grateful for that.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

3. Well, one of the first would be The Bible. I read it cover to cover without ever having set foot in a church. Pretty amazing experience, and I am in no way a Christian.

Another would be Atlas Shrugged. After reading that, I realized that it really was OK to do what you wanted, rather than what everyone expected. My parents were extremely strict with me when I was a kid, and after reading Rand's opus, I was shocked to learn that what they'd been saying to me for years was completely wrong.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

Get In the Van - Henry Rollins

Everyone that plays music, or dreams of playing music should read this. Its a collection of his journal entries (lol fag) from when he was in Black Flag.

5. I've always found Rollins interesting. Hate most of his music, but his spoken word stuff was pretty deep at times.

The only book that ever affected a change in me was The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish.

6. Sidartha.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Changed my personality forever.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. When I first read one of George Carlin's books when I was 14 it made me a really cynical little shit. But yeah, I think that book had more of an impact on me than it should have.

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China. Gave me a whole new perspective on the world and made me realize how petty so many of our complaints are here.

10. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Changed my life? Okay, maybe not quite, but no other book moved me so profoundly as this one. I tore through this thousand-ish page tome in about ten normal school and/or work-filled days. Every spare minute was time I could be reading another page or two. And I did.

The story consumed me. I'd never loved characters so much, nor hated their counterparts with such passion. Tears of sorrow flowed judiciously. Suspense, dread, and outright fear were also in abundance, as well as, of course, unmitigated euphoric happiness (also accompanied by tears). A true roller coast ride of emotions from beginning to end that I'll never forget.

Follett wrote a ton of books after Pillars, most of them at least decent (the eight or so I read anyway), but none measuring up to his magnum opus. Hearing this from everybody for eighteen years, he finally gave in, and did a 200 Years in the Future-sequel, World Without End, which is out now on hardcover. I'm getting mixed reports about whether it lives up to its heritage (although I really don't see how it could). I'll probably start it up early next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pillarsoftheearth.jpg 
Views:	1085 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	29428